Hillbilly voodoo

Lure building dumb moments

Well I had an dumb moment today and figure I can’t be the only one. So why not start a thread here where maybe we can admit to are dumb mistakes so others don’t repeat them 

I will start by owning up to today’s dumb moment

So I was asked by a friend to build a smaller crankbait for rainbows. He wanted something with a wide erratic action. So shaped a body and lip yesterday with plans to test the action today.

When I build a new design of crankbait with a line tie on the lip I pressure fit the lip by adding building up a little masking tape and have a wire with an eye that I slip through holes in the lip then use a small strip of duct tape around the bait hold the wire against the belly. This way I can test different lips and line tie positions by easily being able to swap them out

So I take this new design with me to test the action at the creek near my place. I arrive and I forgot my duct tape so rather than go home I used my masking tape to secure the tie wire around the belly. Cast out the lure into the creek and nice action with first lip and tie position. As I admire my work in shock I got the action right first try a foot long rainbow shoots out and grabs the crankbait. 

Well for the tip of the day masking tape won’t even hold a a foot long trout :censored:. Next time I drive home to get my duct tape 

Now I need to start over again 

So if you are going to test a lures action in a waters with even small fish make sure the lure can hold them

pic of my lip and test wire I use

image.jpg

• Haha 2

I designed and built a hinged lip lure for longer casting. It was a really fiddly build on top of a lot of time consuming carving. The design worked and casting distance increased significantly.

I decided to really test it out with a monster effort cast. The reel bail-arm flipped shut mid-cast. The lure flew about 150yds, it was a thing of beauty.

Moral - Always tie a new knot.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1