Hillbilly voodoo

Crankbait depths

This is a very interesting problem.

Years ago, I was working on an electric turbo design. Part of the design was a circuit for a pressure sensor that I had to design. I set up a syringe to vary the pressure in a jar for testing the sensitivity. It was so sensitive that just touching the glass syringe body with a finger actually registered.

I am sure a tiny device could be developed to clip on the line and record the max depth reached. That would be an interesting project.

Dave

• Like 2

I use a commercially made crankbait that dives to the desired depth as a guide, in terms of lip size, angle, and line tie location.

Then I look at the body size, weight, angle it sits at when it's floating (for ballast location),  and overall body shape, and try to incorporate those elements into my bait design.

It's still trial and error, but at least I start from something close.

When I lived in SoCal and had friends fishing the same waters as I did, I got them to meter the water I was running my bait through, to see if they could verify running depth, but it proved too difficult and time consuming.

• Thanks 1

I am thinking about how to store and display the information. I don't want to use a regular display; too big and complex.

It could be a two part device, plug in to access the depth information. This would keep the collector device small.

I am thinking that the collector would switch on for a second, say 20 seconds after hitting the water. It would count the clicks in one second, the speed of the clicks would be related to the depth. The clicks counted and stored on a simple counter.

Even keeping it simple, it is fairly complex:
water sensing circuit to switch on.
delay timer circuit to allow depth to be reached.
One second timer circuit, the click collection time.
A voltage controlled oscillator circuit to create the clicks.
A counter circuit to collect and store the clicks.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

13 minutes ago, ravenlures said:

How about a depth finder and a sandy bottom say tapered from 1 foot to 25 feet then troll over it with your lure then check the depth as you go, it works for me. Maybe I am not understanding what you want to do.

Wayne

Are you saying run the lure through know depths till it makes bottom contact?if so this is my present method but can be a pain to find suitable spots in my are do to weeds/snags or extreme drop offs. 

If you’re talking a different method could you explain 

Agree Wayne.    Outside of shallow water cranks the bulk of the users will be fishing from a boat.  

On the reservoirs I fished always do nothing gravel banks and points.     Tie a bait on and in a few casts know the bait hits 12 ft on x lb line.  Now I know I can drop down to x lb line and gain a foot or go heavier and lose a foot.   If you are kneel and reel guy you can tack on some more if you want but not something I want to do on a regular basis.    Same token if you have electronics should be able to find weed beds, etc.. at depths and fish those with the baits and find out depth in the same manner.   Have done that off and on but typically the reservoirs I fished didn't have deep water beds based on turbidity but then you just targeted brush piles. 

Also books and charts available for many bass lures regarding depth.  I would imagine the same true for musky/pike stuff.  Should be able to map over you baits in regards to physical size and lip angle/size and get a fairly  close guess to depth to start off.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Casting-Comprehensive-Crankbait-Running/dp/0966301730

In regards to actual devices several already out there for trolling..  Could buy one of those and hit the deep water.

If for kicks and just want to design your own the arduino boards seam to always have those making depth sensor set ups but typically large units.  I haven't looked in a while what is being done.    Fisheries biologists have used such devices to follow fish movements.  They have temperature and depth inserts that are small but while cost prohibitive may be something to look if wanting to design your own.   Lots of small pressure sensors out there that can be used to determine depth also.

• Thanks 1

Benton B

Also line tie and width of lip will also change your depth along with angle. It will also start to create a lot of pull on your rod, I know I make some 10" musky lures that will go down to 27' and pull hard. The idea is too find a happy medium and that takes testing in the water unless you have a test tank, I found to narrow of a lip tends too roll the lure. My test tank is open water and some friends that help.  

Wayne

• Like 1

Wayne you are more likely to be making baits similar to what I do and odds are mine could be applied as smaller musky lures. These crankbaits are 5.5 and 7.25 inches geared to lake trout and pike. With fairly wide lips coffin style and kind of heart shape lip are the two I am testing. They have two tow points so action and depth adjusts a little.

One day I need to head east for musky definitely a bucket list fish

Dave tow points and lip angle are part of what is being played with between these two designs 

No issue figuring out the adjustments needed to achieve my goal depth it’s accuracy and efficiency of my testing I wish to improve. 

Thanks again guys 

John

31 minutes ago, ravenlures said:

Voodoo

Interested on color you use there, when I am doing some big ones again ill get your address and you can test one out or exchange with me, but not until early September when I plan on pouring more. Just a thought!

Wayne

Definitely interested in a swap but might have to delay the timing for later in the fall because I will likely be moving from BC to Alberta come September. Once I get settled into my new place we will have to work something out

As for colour I fish a lot of different waters between BC and Alberta so it varies. When I fish lake trout I also take note of what colours are actually seen according to the depths I am fishing 

White, Black, fluorescent green/yellow, different shades of green/yellow, blue, purple, silver, and a mix of colour for highlights. For the most part I can find somewhere a fish will eat any colour 

My memory sucks so if we have not sorted this out by October remind me

It wouldn’t be too hard if you know someone that scubas. That’s essentially what M. Romanack did for the precision trolling/casting. Had divers with poles marked every foot and watched what level the bait went buy at.

F. Prokop in Australia used a universities flume tank for his book,

Don’t forget unless you are taking about trolling the castability of a bait will have a major effect on the running depth.

Craig

• Like 1