Little Sal

CAD / CNC help

Most professional CAD systems are available through the torrent system. This is illegal on the face of it. BUT, do not break into a sweat. Companies like Dassau (Catia V5) rely on illegal copies of their software being circulated freely so that as many engineers as possible can become experienced with the CAD software. In fact, I have been freely handed discs of the latest software from Dassau engineers when they serviced the office I was working.

Without practiced engineers to employ, why would a company spend exorbitant sums of money on software licenses. Free copies are essential to the system. If a large company tries to cheat and use 'illegal' copies, Dassau will take immediate and aggressive action, but single users have nothing to fear.

An official Catia V5 license cost is in the thousands of dollars per seat, and the software cannot be bought for unlimited use, yet I have no problem downloading the latest unlimited licensed software. Do you think that these companies are not capable of eliminating such fraud! Of course they are not going to be seen to turn a blind eye, but in the background, the practice is encouraged.

As for learning Catia V5, it is a complex system, designed to cater for all areas of industry. But, as a Google or YouTube search will reveal, there is an endless supply of tutorial material. I myself have 25 years experience, so I have long forgotten the learning difficulties, in fact I learn new things with virtually every project I undertake.

I know you are ALL honest and above board citizens, but just think about the system; without experienced users, they cannot sell software.

Example - I worked for a company that was cheap on the licenses. The system was lacking in the licenses that enabled the job to be performed efficiently. I actually used my laptop to perform the unlicensed operations, then copied the completed files back onto the company system. How silly is that!

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

I have very little experience with scanners. But what I have was not promising. I was unable to modify the scans with Catia. So, you are left with the scan data with little opportunity of dressing.

My direction would be towards a CAD program. Measure up and create a model. The model will be available for modification in the future.

Dave

• Like 1

A scan leaves you with a shape. You may be able to ratio it up or down, but I doubt even that.

With a true CAD model, I can control everything. On one of my models, I can control 15+ parameters; depth, height, length width, and a lot of finer detail. Entering a few details I can change the model completely.

Test me, give me some numbers. I will post a pic, then change the numbers and I will post an update. Such modifications take seconds.

Nose radius
tail radius,
height above C/L
depth below C/L
Length
Position of max height
Position of max depth
Max thickness
position of max thickness

These are just a few of the parameters that can be adjusted in seconds.

Dave

• Like 1

Look into Fusion 360 (Autodesk product) I think it is still free for individual use. There are also tons of videos on using Fusion 360 on Youtube and Instructables. With the scan data you are going to get a triangle mesh file. It will need to be converted into a surface or solid model before you can edit it.