danthefisherman

Budget Saw to Cut Lexan Lips

Hello TU!

I don't really post much on here but have enjoyed learning from you all for a couple of years now. Anyways, I am in the market for a budget and user friendly scroll/band saw to cut polycarbonate lexan lips up to or past 1/8" thick. My brother and I make big custom swimbaits and it's hard to find pre-cut lips that are the right size and shape for our needs. Yes, I have already used the search function and read through many threads covering this topic, but a lot of them were pretty old and I'm sure there are new products on the market now. Our budget is up to $200, but we'd prefer to stay around $100-150 if we can. We're really just looking to cut lips with the saw, but precision with cutting wood and other materials is always a bonus. If you can provide a link with any of your suggestions that would be great!

Thank you for your time and input!

Dan

I would likely go with the Rikon 10" Bandsaw 305 model.  But over your price range at 260.

https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-305

Even has a little resaw capacity if you break down your own lumber.  Will handle poplar, basswood, PVC, etc... all well.  Get a few solid blades and good to go.    Timberwolf and Woodslicer are fairly inexpensive and good bang for the buck blades.

Depending on your area easy to get used band saws on craigslist for good price.  May need change out guide bearings/blocks, etc... but easy enough.   I would not get a scroll saw personally as not ideal for cutting lips.  I would rather use tin shears and then take it the belt sander than the scroll saw.  

I have a cheap  small delta bandsaw (lots of plastic, lots of flex, lots of cast aluminum that breaks).  That does pretty well that I did various odds and ends to get functioning.  It sits in the corner of my workshop and is set up with an 1/8 inch blade.   I also have a 14 inch bandsaw that gets the most use in my shop.    Scroll saw sits under a bench and gets pulled out for Christmas ornaments or such.  

• Like 1

I have a Ryobi 16" scroll saw. I get it to work good for cutting the general shape of lures and for fins and lips and such. It cuts everything fine. My only issue with it is that it can't cut much anything over 2" thick. Essentially I can do shape horizontally but not vertically in my initial lure body cuts.

• Like 1

or truly old school and cheap 

Coping saw https://www.amazon.ca/Olson-Saw-SF63510-Coping-Delude/dp/B001NI8N2K/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2237JJSVLBLYH&keywords=coping+saw&qid=1562692948&s=gateway&sprefix=coping+saw%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-2

Though my  recommendation would be band saw and a coping saw. in general a band saw is a more useful tool, but they suck with lexan (at least with the blades I have)

I would personally use a router, make a template for each lip design... nothing cuts lexan/polycarbonate better than high speed carbide then hit the edges quick with a propane torch to give it a perfect edge. not the easiest but it is the best way for exact good looking lips.  

One thing I have to say. Before you start carving or cutting a lure start with the lip size, you can save a lot of work buying a lip already made and make a small change or none at to your lure there are many sizes out there and will save you time and money.

Wayne  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ravenlures said:

One thing I have to say. Before you start carving or cutting a lure start with the lip size, you can save a lot of work buying a lip already made and make a small change or none at to your lure there are many sizes out there and will save you time and money.

Wayne  

That is great advice!

If you buy one that's close, but a little larger, it's easy to sand/file it to the size/shape you want.

Thank you all for the amazing advice! It seems I have many options to choose from haha. I've been looking around since my original post and it's all been quite confusing with so many companies trying hard to sell their product. I think I'd rather just buy precut lips like @ravenlures kindly suggested and cut them to size.

Does anyone know of good places to buy from that take PayPal as payment and have a good variety of sizes and shapes? LPO and Jann's Netcraft are pretty limited and Rollie and Helen's Muskie Shop doesn't accept PayPal. Barlows Tackle has decent pricing and options, but I'm looking for somewhere with more variety. These lips will be for 5"-9" hard bodied swimbaits.

Thank you kindly!

Dan