Hillbilly voodoo

Need a little advice in hopes to get a little focus

I decided this winter to start putting in effort to sell some of my hard baits but need to control my mayhem first. I have a problem of always trying to create something new or tweaking designs I have made so I have a bunch of proven designs. 

I pour my blanks and build my own lips so it’s not simply assembling like my wire baits and flies. Out side of basic hardware nothing is interchangeable. I am realizing I need to pick a set number of models and focus on them or things will be a mess

So for those who sell custom hard baits as a side business what do you find is your magic number of hard bait models to keep things running smooth?

I will likely keep 2-3 of my wire baits in the mix as well 

I think the bigger question is...."How much work are you willing to get into?" If your stuff is good and the orders come in, then remember you are going to have to come home from work and get to work. 

Then remember that you have to be there for your customers. 

I played the pro game for years. But it was the BFL guys that really beat me up. It just got to be too much. So much so that I became to hate making a bait. The enjoyment was gone. 

Then you have to deal with "Butt Heads" that want to complain about your prices, don't want to pay you after you finished their order,  complain that the shade of red you used wasn't right or the guy that wants you to sponsor him.

I am starting to get back into making baits again. I have a different approach. I make baits when I feel like it and when I enjoy it. If someone wants to buy one then he can pick from what I have done. No real pressure there.

Always remember that in this business your name and reputation are as important as your work. Mess any of those up and you are done.

Skeeter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everything that Skeeter said is 110% correct. But if you really must, I would have a topwater, shallow bill, medium bill and a deep bill. Pretty much covers the spectrum. That should be enough to make you want to quit your job. Just kiddin'

• Like 1

Thanks for the input I have operated 2 customer service based business in the past and agree with the customer issues that can arise. Been selling flies and in-line spinners at a small level for a long time on the side but not my hard baits or at the level I am planning on pushing for. 

I think I will stick to 3-4 hard bait designs to start and add others if I see it needed or feasible 

I know you are working on a few special baits. But to get away from your day job it is all about production and promotion, and of course catching fish.

I hope I can help you one day with the production, but I am struggling at the moment. Plan A failed, so moving on to plan B. I still hope to offer a production service one day, but still some miles to cover.

Dave

• Like 1

Hope your plan B gets better results Dave

I still have some tweaking to do with my special projects. The few designs I will be starting with are 100% my own but not ground breaking in my opinion. There is promise in 2 designs that are versatile and just straight up catch fish. I just see it wise to test a smaller market before I think larger production. 

Not getting excited with hope of quitting my day job yet 

• Like 1

John

Keep your day job. It will take some time to retire from a day job. One thing I found myself doing is second guessing myself, just do it and test it till you are ready but just do it. If you fail and I don't think you will, keep going forward its hard to get going I know I am at that place right now I will start with 10 each color so that's 100 I need. Then on to the top water then some bass lures which I have ready to paint and then start up a web site, I am slow but every day I make it a point to do what I need to do. My production is  slow but if I stick to the plan I will be ready for a September start up. 

Wayne

• Like 1

Thanks Wayne 

I am going to keep low expectations with a goal of only generating a few extra $. I won’t be dreaming of this being my primary income. 

I will definitely give it a good go. Been building molds so I have enough to keep things productive already. I also have to improve my lure turner set up and painting station to increase the numbers I can accomplish at a time. Just making sure I have things in order so I provide reliable service once I start. Things will be easier once I move from my present middle of nowhere 1500 people town to my new location that is much closer to larger hubs lol

In the middle of all this I still managed to design an 8inch bait in similar style to one of my very productive baits with a little tweaking. Just need to mold it and come up with the resin recipe that will carry the action over from the wooden prototype. I am liking this one and I think it will be a good candidate to send your way this fall

John