wallyc14

Angling A I 4 “ Cali grub

not sure what this grub is supposed to be, but it is HUGE, i bought one hoping it would be on the small side of 4" grubs but it made a 4" kalins look small by comparison, and IMO a 4" kalins is a large grub. i returned it the day after i got it!

The Cali grub came to birth in a unique way. The tail design & action on THAT grub is very important to clear, rocky deep reservoir lakes. The Yama single grub has changed a bit ( new stuFF). That tail on grub body comes from the old PRO STAFF single tail grub STOCK  about 26 years ago, when it was made in Page AZ. THE change is really noticeable with you lay the bait to a New Yama grub off the shelf. The difference is in the TAIL Action is very important in impoundment lakes that are clear. The MOLD SHOOTS GREAT, THE ACTION IS GREAT.  But most important thing, is Josh, of ANGLING A I  was willing to make and design the bait to old specs. Lucky to Have Josh making molds and DREAM MOLDS for Do it yourself makers!  This Grub on a darter head, ball head, with a Rubber (living rubber) is devastating to spotted bass in the winter. 

• Thanks 2

I just wanted to thank everyone for the input! That is the 4 gyb  grub I remember! Kudos to A I for making it! I’ll be buying a few more . It’s been a long strange journey since I started making my own baits for personal consumption. This one was the great white whale for me! It was the one of two bait designs I really wanted because it flat  out catches  fish.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fish them on an 1/8 slider spider heads with the heavier gauge hook . Deadly for spawn largemouth and all through the summer. I had success on the upper James river for smallies too.  Again thank you so much for everybody’s input 

• Like 1

Man did I stumble upon a gem here wow so just like you guys I’ve been  looking for a good true 4 inch grub and I just was looking into the c block from angling al but now I will look closer at his grub mold too I’m very picky the first mold I got I paid a lot for and I hate it now it’s a paper weight so but I just became a member of the underground today and I can tell it’s going to help me already 

I'm cheap.  I bought two of the Do-It Essential 3" grub molds, and they work fine.  I use them as spinnerbait trailers, but I'm sure they'd work on a ball head jig, too.

They extend to 3 1/2" when they swim.

I pour them with a medium plastic, because I want them to be a little more durable, since I throw my spinnerbaits up into the tules.  But I'm sure they'd really wave and be even more lively if I poured them with a softer plastic.