Jreid1996

Help on why I’m burning my plastic. I’m a newbie.

11B28269-F7F6-43A3-92D4-DD9F8F8B8371.thumb.jpeg.7ef34d18b3ab18a954753fcb131da6f4.jpegSame formula same total time in microwave. The watermelon color I did 1:30, 1:30, 1:00 on power level 7, (8 oz)and it came out right.

the burnt ones were same formula, but different time intervals in the microwave, but same total time.  Several were even on lower power levels, but like 1:00, 1:00, 1:00, :30, :30 on power level 6 with same 8 oz of plastic.

A digital thermometer (not an IR which only measures surface temperature) is a MUST !

You need to get your plastic up to 350F to completely change state the first time you use it. The reheats can be a lower temperature as long as it flows well into the far and/or small parts of your mold.

You can use the probe on the thermometer to stir the plastic.

Here is what I use (make sure any thermometer you buy can read to 350+ . Not all do.) You can set any of the food settings and the custom to 350F (see instructions in the ?section on the below site)

https://www.charbroil.com/instant-read-digital-temp-gauge 

• Like 1

You really need a thermometer as posted above . Different brands have different  viscosity’s  When heated . Even different between med and soft in the same brand.  Best practice as stated above is to heat stir heat stir with a thermometer  till you hit 350.  It doesn’t take much past that for any brand to start scorching . We have all been the and have the shirt to prove it . Just comes with the learning curve.

• Like 1

heat stabilizer will help a ton, as will a probe thermometer. i dont use a themometer after the initial heat, just go by the viscosity of the plastic, but i use the exact heating routine every time, and its worked well. until you get used to the platic you use, the microwave you use and that sort of thing, check the temp more and use stabilizer and your colors should stay true reheat after reheat.

• Like 1

All have made excellent points about using a probe thermometer at least for getting to the initial state change temp, and I agree wholeheartedly. 

BP also made a good point about the flake possibly bleeding on multiple reheats. 

I’d also like to chime in and say that some colorants can also suffer after multiple reheats, especially in the watermelon & green pumpkin varieties when the plastic gets to the edge of its scorching temps...especially when I’m shooting the second side of a laminate....no dual injector blending block here.

A touch of heat stabilizer will assist in keeping your plastic off the edge & could prevent this shift in color for ya.  All that said, the baits you ended up with ain't bad at all. I’d still fish that color. 

• Like 1