Kwalter32

Replicating a specific lure

Alumilite and smooth on sell Silicone Mold material you can use to make a mold. Alumilite sells another material you can use to make injection moulds as well 

I have not tried them because I have not taken the leap into soft plastics yet. I have used the silicone mould for hard baits with good results though 

take a look into the two options and see if one works for you 

Plaster is a cheap way to get into mold making and it is available locally. Go to Home Depot and get water putty. It works like plaster of Paris but is stronger. The bull worm is a good worm to start with because it has a flat side.

This is what I do but there are variations that will work as well. You will develop your own process if you keep making molds. My process may take longer than others but being retired, I don't rush anything. Go fishing if you can't keep yourself from fiddling with the mold.

Superglue the flat side down to a container. I use the Styrofoam containers meat is packaged in at the supermarket. Mix up the putty and cover the glued down bait. Let it dry overnight and carefully remove the mold from the rest of the pieces. The mold has to dry and then be sealed. Some people put them in their vehicle this time of year to do this. I usually set the mold on top of my oil fired furnace and wait a week. Once dry, you can seal it in a number of ways. I prefer to use Elmers white glue that is thinned with water to a 50 - 50 mix. Pour it in to fill the mold cavity, let it sit five minutes and pour the glue out. I like to take some of the glue being poured out and wipe it on the surface of the mold with my hand. I  set the mold upside down on newspaper with wooden skewers as spacers to keep the mold off the newspaper. Let it sit overnight and remove the now stuck on skewers. Roll them to release rather than pull them off. Let the mold dry another day and it is ready to use.

As I implied above, you can find ways to speed it up if you want to.

image.png.a8bfc80b5ad61824b2fef6c3b618301b.png

• Like 2

Super glue the worm flat side down to a container. 

Pour POP over top. 

Bake mold in oven at 170° for a few hours. 

Coat with two layers of 50/50 wood glue and water. 

You now have an open pour mold that will work just fine. Once u get pouring figured out you will have great clone baits.