Tiderunner

Leftovers

Through the past couple of year I have made a lot of "experiments". Not exactly the color I want, old and curling, too heavy, too light...etc  We all have these. Started cleaning out the work area the other day, and while I usually just remelt these "experiments" back into black.because of the laminates, and glitters there are some that I put aside until our experts can respond.

The put asides have already been scented, and worm oiled. Can I remelt these? I know the scent is ok, but the worm oil? All M-F and Lurecraft, name brand stuff.  Maybe I can wash them off in soapy water to dilute the oil? There has to be something I can do with these. I figured I'd wait until I hear back. No need to blow up my microwave, or fry off my first three layers of skin.

2 hours ago, Jig Man said:

I have never had a problem mixing leftovers but I always wind up with brown.

Same here - I keep all old stuff / used stuff / etc in a plastic bag and melt it down when I'm testing out a new mold to aviod wasting new plastic - this way if I waste it or whatever who cares.  It is comical though no matter how may colors you mix you always get brown in the end!

J.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Worm oil is mso and used in scents, softeners, and is a by product of plastisol.

Worm oil is a plasticizer (a lot are DINP, some could be DOA, DINCH etc) and are already present in the plastic (It is how PVC resin is softened to make the final product squishy and not hard as a rock like your standard PVC pipe)

Either way you will have zero issue remelting it. Too much of it and it will act as a plasticizer. 

Edited by DaveMc1
  • Like 1

when saving left overs ....

keep 4 different bags or containers

1-- blacks - when remelting add black color

2-- greens- when remelting add green pumpkin color

3- browns- when remelting add your favorite brown -- Pumpkin -- 

4- purples / reds - when remelting add purple 

then you can have 4 different colors of remelts not just 1

also I do not save any pearls or whites ,, - white will yellow on to many remelts ..

pearls add a pearl look to the batch of any color,,  I do not like it..  but that's just me .

Edited by Bass-Boys
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Troutfishing303 said:

@OIR After you remelt them into cubes, what do you do?  How do you store them?  Do you store them in buckets or some kind of organized shelf?  I have so many different colors now that I've been super addicted to making my own plastic lures...

depends how much you have but put em in ziplock bags to prevent cross coloration and then store in a covered 5 gallon bucket. they are best kept in a cool dark spot away from sunlight

or just pour your most common used lure molds with them and throw them in as a bonus gift package with large orders, if your not using it, then why not?

if your getting lots of waste then you need to rethink your pouring habits, there must be ways to reduce waste to a minimum

Edited by keakar