Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lure--Prof

Simple lure dryer

8 posts in this topic

I thought I'd add my lure dryer to the list, not for its great beauty or any outstanding features, but simply because of its...simplicity. The craft store provided the wheels for a buck a piece that hold 8 gator-clipped 3/16 dowels. The clips are from Wal-Mart and are crimped on, and the dowels are simply snugged into their 3/16th holes. The clips hold better than I thought they would; I've turned some 1 ounce poppers with no problem, and they're fine for bass-size lures. More wheels can be added quickly and easily; I'm working on a wheel with larger dowls to suspend large lures off of them between springs. Motor and shaft is a 20$ Wal-Mart rotisserie. No glue is used anywhere and it works just fine. It went together in a couple of hours including head-scratching time, and with a rotten back, I don't move quickly! I thought maybe this might inspire some guys who hadn't gotten around to building one yet.

Dean

easy_lure_dryer.jpg

easy_lure_dryer.jpg

easy_lure_dryer.jpg

easy_lure_dryer.jpg

easy_lure_dryer.jpg

easy_lure_dryer.jpg

easy_lure_dryer.jpg

easy_lure_dryer.jpg

1062_thumb.attach

Looks very similar to my wheel. I bought a bunch of Gator clips to hold the baits but decided to go with a split in the dowel and a screw. How well have the gator clips held up? I am in the process of building a new one and I am trying to find a bunch of cheap pin vices to use. The cheapest I have found is $2 which is twice what I want to pay.

Markell,

I've only spun about 3 dozen lures on it so far, (2 and 3 times each lure) so I can't really say about longevity, but I expect no problems for my use, which is pretty low volume. If you can ever find pin vises for about a buck a piece, I'd sure make up a wheel or two with them! For awhile I did use some split dowel thingies for holders while painting and those did wear out, much to my surprise. But if I ever find a big sale on X-acto knives, I'll sure grab a bunch.

Dean

Anyone build a drying wheel, or have plans for building one, that will accomidate the heavy 2-6 oz jigs I build?

6oz.? That is a lot of weight to hold. I would try to ge some type of screw clamp for those lead heads. I can say that the alligator clips will not hold them. I am still looking for a holder type I trust. Let us know what you decide on.

I made some holders to hold 15" baits that work ok.They are a pain to make though.Its sort of like a home made fly tying vise clamp.Took 12" threaded rod,and band sawed a slot in the end big enough to fit the hook hanger width.Make the cut 34" from the end down the center of the rod.Then drill and tap for a cap screw about 38" from the rod end going through the slot.When you tighten the cap screw it pulls the sloted rod end together making a clamp.Sorry I dont have a picture.Hopefully someone will have an aesier solution for you.That was the first one I made,since then for my smaller baits I have been using springs and S hooks.

Tom