keakar

i want to get into lure making and need mold/hooks advice

i want to get into lure making but wish to keep it super basic, so with that in mind i dont want to buy cnc molds and injectors and all that stuff

i just want to make my own molds for the 2 or 3 saltwater soft baits i use all the time and they need to be hand pour molds. these baits will be a lifelike shrimp imitation, a cocaho minnow, and some sort of a swirl tail grub and/or 4" craw like bait

my desired bait molds will be simple realistic 3" shrimp and paddle tail swim baits with size 3/0 with the 60 or 90 degree saltwater jig hooks

but i really want hooks with the center balanced 1/4oz and 1/8oz lead weights made onto it so the bait suspends level under a cork or swims level on shallow water retrieve 

i dont see the hooks i want with center weight so do i have to buy the hooks and then make molds to pour the lead weight to add to it? i really really really dont want to mess with melting and pouring lead as im already crazy enough at this point and would rather not kill whatever few brain cells i have left lol.

keep in mind, i expect i will be making baits just for my own use in limited quantities so i expect 30-40% of my bulk supplies may be coming from remelting old shredded/torn store bought baits

AND YES IM ANOTHER WANNA BE LURE MAKER AFTER SEEING SOME YOUTUBE VIDEOS, so i apologize for asking any questions that may have been asked 1k times already

Edited by keakar

Check out Lurecraft. They have several open pour molds that are what you desire. From there you’ll have to get creative on what hooks and what you do with them. 

Plastisol, glitter and or pigment, a few 1 cup glass measuring cups and a microwave specifically for plastic only and you’ll be good to go. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RedRum said:

Check out Lurecraft. They have several open pour molds that are what you desire. From there you’ll have to get creative on what hooks and what you do with them. 

Plastisol, glitter and or pigment, a few 1 cup glass measuring cups and a microwave specifically for plastic only and you’ll be good to go. 

Here's a couple of Lurecraft silicone open pour molds I modified to hold a weighted swimbait hook.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2019 at 9:35 PM, mark poulson said:

In the past I've poured soft plastic swimbaits with weighted hooks embedded.

Check out this TW page.  Scroll down to the weighted swimbait hooks.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Swimbait_Hooks/catpage-TTWHK.html

i may have to make my own mold. im trying to keep things super simple, it may not work, but im trying lol.

i most likely will have to downsize the hooks, i was planning on 2/0 but im now tinking the 1/0 is better as long as i get the placement in the body correct for good hook exposure.

reds and specks have big mouths so wide gap hooks are better for hook sets

Edited by keakar