bernerbass99

Thinking about getting back into pouring worms

I used to pour my own baits but only used open pour molds. Some of my molds were the silicone molds and some top pour aluminum molds. I always had trouble with baits getting memory or plastic burning. I have a idea for a worm and want to be able to mass produce them using injection molds. I think I was told that the plastic we use to make baits it different than the big manufactures. Why do they use different plastic ? Will injection molding solve the memory problem ? The way I was making baits in the past was very labor intensive for just a few baits.

If you've ever seen a video of a big manufacturer's operation, they control everything with computers, so their baits come out the same every time.

Injecting helps, but it is their whole system that makes them successful.

I don't think we, as small time makers, will every be able to match their stuff, in terms of volume and consistency, but there are hand pour guys here who have carved out a niche for themselves producing  quality over quantity.

4 hours ago, mark poulson said:

If you've ever seen a video of a big manufacturer's operation, they control everything with computers, so their baits come out the same every time.

Injecting helps, but it is their whole system that makes them successful.

I don't think we, as small time makers, will every be able to match their stuff, in terms of volume and consistency, but there are hand pour guys here who have carved out a niche for themselves producing  quality over quantity.

Spot on there Mark. With a pre mixed Colored 55 Gal of plastic, enough volume to shoot a production mold, being cooked per shot, there's no over heating, repetitive re melting etc, etc. = consistency 

Even using a Jacobs press, and at a lower temp, lighter colors do yellow up a little ( not by much, but noticeable)  as the quart runs down after several shoots.

Thinking of adding an auto mixer just to keep the mix churning.

Memory issue is how you store the final product while curing and how you either bag the product or store them. 

Plastisol is the main material used by all, just a plethora of brands and grades, then you have your custom in house blends.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bernerbass99 said:

I used to pour my own baits but only used open pour molds. Some of my molds were the silicone molds and some top pour aluminum molds. I always had trouble with baits getting memory or plastic burning. I have a idea for a worm and want to be able to mass produce them using injection molds. I think I was told that the plastic we use to make baits it different than the big manufactures. Why do they use different plastic ? Will injection molding solve the memory problem ? The way I was making baits in the past was very labor intensive for just a few baits.

look at the mold making videos on youtube.

its easy to make POP (plaster of paris) injection or open pour molds and a 20 lbs bag of it costs $10

you can make all sorts of stuff and injection molds allow you to do several at a time

• Like 1