fivebigfish

Need advice for stencils

I like to use the clear sheets used by teachers for transparancies on overhead projectors. I think they are mylar. I work part time for the local school district and get them for free. They are very durable and very flexible.

Another trick I use is for cutting various size holes in stencils. I do a lot of shooting and reload my own ammo. I use old cartridge cases that have had the necks chamfered to a sharp edge to punch holes in my stencils. I can cut holes from almost any size from .177 to .458 inch.

Dale

I'm considering getting a stencil burner that way i can do more complex shapes than i can cut out with an xacto, but i have not decided for sure yet. I'm going to do some more research on them first. For now i go to the Stenciling supplies at walmart by the crafts section, there are blank pages with nothing cut out of them that are perfect, and one sheet will do a lot of different stencils.

Hoosier daddy, GREAT Tutorial!

Cullins 8, I want to say dont waste your time on a stencil burner. But mine has come in handy as well. I have had the opportunity to use it once or twice.... again the key words are once or twice. It really leaves the edges very JAGGED.. which at times can be ok, but you got to remember basicly its melting the plastic stencil away. With that being said you have to learn to try and control the stencil burning the plastic! It does take a little bit of practice, but it is Nothing compared to the learning of the airbrush! Its a whole new tool that you have to try and learn to use. I am not a huge fan of the burner, but I got mine free a whole bunch of years ago with a purchase from BearAir. So for free... I cant complain! Be careful with it and make sure the point doesnt rest down on your work table, or thats melting! Cody

kellure is right. you can use just about anything to make a stencil. On the foiled fire tiger (hardbait photo section). I used a posted note! I drew the pattern with a pencil and cut them out with an exacto knife and then sprayed some 3m adhesive (only to hold the pattern in place while airbrushing) on both sides and placed the post it right on the lure and sprayed away :D

kellure is right. you can use just about anything to make a stencil. On the foiled fire tiger (hardbait photo section). I used a posted note! I drew the pattern with a pencil and cut them out with an exacto knife and then sprayed some 3m adhesive (only to hold the pattern in place while airbrushing) on both sides and placed the post it right on the lure and sprayed away :D

postitnotestencil.jpg

postitnotestencil.jpg

postitnotestencil.jpg

postitnotestencil.jpg

postitnotestencil.jpg

postitnotestencil.jpg

postitnotestencil.jpg

postitnotestencil.jpg

1078_thumb.attach

Here's a couple ideas: Plastic-coated playing cards. The jumbo size works well for larger baits. They come with a free storage box, too. Cut two identical stencils then flip one over. This way, you have the same pattern on each side of the lure.

Visit the hair care dept. There's a wide variety of combs and clips that make very nice stripes. No stencil to cut, either.

You can get nice aluminum sheets at a building supply store, in th eroofing section. A pack of about a dozen 4 x 6 inch sheets is under $2.00. Of course you could use the sides from a beverage can, but it's easier to start out flat, cut it, then curve it than starting out curved.

The lure pictures was stenciled with a milk jug. Shift the stencil and shoot with different colors.

ll_billy_tiger_musky.jpg