mark poulson

Three new baits.

6 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

I experimented with rear lips on one-piece baits. Interesting movements are available to the experimenter.

Hope your pain subsides soon, and look forward to the video :)

Dave

Dave,

I'm afraid video is beyond my capabilities.  I barely do photos!  Hahaha

My pain is gone, and my strength, such as it is, is returning.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, barrybait said:

They look great Mark. Nice work. Your colors look good and I like the chartreuse highlight on the plopper tails.

Thanks Barry.  I used fluorescent yellow with some iridescent green to get that chartreuse, and it really shows well in the water. 

I just hope the fish agree with me.  ;O)

6 hours ago, ravenlures said:

Mark if you ever want to look at the fluorescent yellow use a black light it gives you a better idea of what you just painted.

Wayne

Wayne, I haven't seen a black light since I went to the Cheeta Club, next door to Pacific Ocean Park, back in the late '60s.  Hahaha  I believe what the manuf. says, and it does seem to "glow" in the water.

They look good 

2 styles of bait I have never attempted. I have never even fished a plopper but not a big top water hardball  fishermen. I may need to expand my horizons more and attempt a swimbait and top water. I could see a plopper being effective for pike in the canals. With the plopper do you make the tail section?

Been focused on a 8inch 2 tie point crankbait that I am just trying to decide on which two tie points I like best. Problem is when I have trolled it for Lakers it has done well on all tie point options. This one I think might be the final choice but waiting to test it on pike after I finish moving 

The madness never ends lol

image.jpg

10 minutes ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

They look good 

2 styles of bait I have never attempted. I have never even fished a plopper but not a big top water hardball  fishermen. I may need to expand my horizons more and attempt a swimbait and top water. I could see a plopper being effective for pike in the canals. With the plopper do you make the tail section?

Been focused on a 8inch 2 tie point crankbait that I am just trying to decide on which two tie points I like best. Problem is when I have trolled it for Lakers it has done well on all tie point options. This one I think might be the final choice but waiting to test it on pike after I finish moving 

The madness never ends lol

image.jpg

Thanks.

The whooper plopper actually began life as a musky bait, designed by Larry Dahlberg, so it should get pike, too.  It resembles something struggling on the surface, like a baby duck trying to get airborne, or a baitfish that's trying to escape, I've read that pike are vicious predators that will eat anything they can fit into their mouths.  I've never actually seen a musky or pike in person, but I've caught their saltwater cousin, the barricuda, and those are some mean rascals.  When I threw iron for them, big metal jigs, they would actually scratch the metal with their teeth!  From the pictures I've seen, pike look like they have the same dentist.

Yes, I carve the tail out of the same Azek PVC trimboard that I use for the whole bait.

Man, I don't know if I could even cast an 8" crankbait.  I know retrieving it would kick my butt!

It sounds like tinkering on a plopper over the winter might be in order. Pike are savages and have witnessed them eat muskrats and adult teal ducks. They are one of those fish that if the bite is hot they take anything that moves. Never fished cuda but they definitely look like fun but big predators are my favourite fish to target 

That bait is not too bad weight wise for a big crankbait 3.7oz. I have a bulky 6.5inch bait that is similar weight. You definitely feel the action on the retrieve. When I long line with 6oz weights for lake trout with these baits you don’t want to reel in and switch baits too often :nuhuh:

The guys who fish musky with 12inch+ musky crankbaits must have a good fitness routine lol

I may pick your brain this winter if a plopper gives me issues but will have to wing it on my own first just because I am stubborn like that 

A muskrat wake bait is another rolling around my brain 

6 minutes ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

It sounds like tinkering on a plopper over the winter might be in order. Pike are savages and have witnessed them eat muskrats and adult teal ducks. They are one of those fish that if the bite is hot they take anything that moves. Never fished cuda but they definitely look like fun but big predators are my favourite fish to target 

That bait is not too bad weight wise for a big crankbait 3.7oz. I have a bulky 6.5inch bait that is similar weight. You definitely feel the action on the retrieve. When I long line with 6oz weights for lake trout with these baits you don’t want to reel in and switch baits too often :nuhuh:

The guys who fish musky with 12inch+ musky crankbaits must have a good fitness routine lol

I may pick your brain this winter if a plopper gives me issues but will have to wing it on my own first just because I am stubborn like that 

A muskrat wake bait is another rolling around my brain 

I'd suggest you buy a plopper copy from Predator Baits, or some other online supplier, so you have a sample in hand when you begin you tinkering.  It also helps to know what the plop should sound like.  The shape and depth of the tail's lip is critical, but it's easy to duplicate, once you've figured it out.  

Please feel free to ask me anything you'd like.  Everything I know about making baits I've learned here on TU, from others who shared with me, so it's only fair to return the favor.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mark same goes for me if I can help I will. I have learned how to build baits by winging it and screwing up LOTS for the most part so I don’t always do a good job explaining how to do things or why things work. Very much a hands on builder/problem solver. TU has helped simplify some of my projects for sure 

But hey my mind is open to be picked even if it might lead to more confusion :lolhuh:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ravenlures said:

Mark try this...…….51 UV LED Scorpion Detector Hunter Finder Ultra Violet Blacklight Flashlight AA its on ebay 

If not the lure than you can go Scorpion hunting !

Wayne

Wayne, we had scorpions in Venice, CA, when I was a kid in the '50s.  Our alleys were dirt, we were barefoot, and no one went looking for them after dark.  I would have loved to have had a UV flashlight back then.

They help to find black widows, too.  That red belly glows in UV light.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:45 AM, ravenlures said:

Mark try this...…….51 UV LED Scorpion Detector Hunter Finder Ultra Violet Blacklight Flashlight AA its on ebay 

If not the lure than you can go Scorpion hunting !

Wayne

Wayne, I just pulled my head out of it's usual resting place and ordered one from Amazon. $8, with free delivery!