mark poulson

Hardbaits Gallery

9 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Amen.   Thank goodness the fish aren't art critics!

Painting to appease fish is easy but to please fishermen that is another story. 

I am not to Dave’s black and white level but I believe contrast and patterns that make it pop are more important than life exact colour. When I had a trout farm I tested a lot of things with colour and patterns. My ponds were natural so they ranged from crystal clear to very little visibility depending on the time of year.

I do believe in paying attention to what depth colours are effected and water clarity’s impact. I have also painted up two lures in the same pattern 1 in colour and the other in shades of grey. Depending on the conditions the grey lure will match or even beat the colour lure. I have done this for Lakers with a down rigger in crystal clear lakes and without a doubt some colours that make a difference depending on depth. That said  stained or 100+ft it’s basically contrast of the pattern and the good old black or white lures shine

Still try to make my lures look respectable and think the artistic talent displayed on lures looks awesome. 

• Like 2

I painted a batch of lures with my family (wife-very artistic & our 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old sons).  To be honest, my older son's lure looked better than the ones I did... We were just messing around with acrylic paint and small brushes, but it was a lot of fun!  My older son did the gray/blue one with the pink eye, and my younger son did the mottled one.  Hopefully they catch some fish!

IMG_0324 (2).jpg

IMG_0325 (2).jpg

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 7:51 PM, Hillbilly voodoo said:

There is some true artists hiding around here that make my best work look like kindergarten paint jobs 

I know what you mean!  I'm trying to get back into lure making but seeing some of the paint jobs here make my best efforts look like caveman art.  Makes me look at my old Paasche H with somewhat lessened enthusiasm.  

• Like 1