Chonch12

Starting New Hobby, looking for some advice

Hello!

Let me start by saying I really admire what everyone here does. I have been doing quite a bit of research before diving it but finally decided to give it a go. I am not looking to sell and make a lot of money or anything along those lines, maybe years from now when I have experience. This is going to just be for myself as a hobby and a slow process. Over time I want to accumulate the tools needed to actually make my own baits from wood. But that is for another day when I can afford all of the tools.

I've decided to jump into air brushing baits to start. I think this will be a perfect hobby for fall and especially winter. My overall budget to go All In and get going is about $400-$500. I am leaning to purchasing this kit on Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/Eclipse-Airbrush-Master-Compressor-Cleaning/dp/B001BO4X8Y?pf_rd_p=387d50eb-83f8-4221-a708-8a1575a4a151&pd_rd_wg=ifSi6&pf_rd_r=MGMWE8AJQS7HK2YB4B3T&ref_=pd_gw_cr_simh&pd_rd_w=SfPnF&pd_rd_r=fb2ee916-940c-48e6-9731-4bcca8780c5f

It seems like a solid starter kit to get me going so I can learn the ins and outs. I was then going to purchase a bunch of the cheapest knock off lures I could find, again all for practice. I know that I am going to be bad for awhile until I get some experience. Anyone have thoughts on this kit? I know it has an IWATA Eclipse which I've read on here is an excellent brush for the money.

Is there anything else I should purchase to get started or should this kit hold me over for now? Anything I should look into in the near future? 

Thank you so much! 

The Iwata HPCS is an excellent brush and I use it for 70% of my work. Cant say anything about the quality and longevity of the compressor or the quality of the paint in that kit however. good price but if you price out the same brush, a California Air Tools compressor, sprayout pot and a selection of quality paint like Wicked you will be in the same range and have a compressor and paint that is of high quality.

As far as cheap blanks go, Cedar Run Outdoors has some good ones, and excellent service

Edited by RM3
  • Like 2