mark poulson

Air brush cleaning

This is a confession.  I am lazy.  I thought I had a really good air brush cleaning system that was fast and easy.

I typically backflush my air brush with clean water after each color during each painting session.  I do a final backflush when I'm done for the day, using first Windex and then water/dish washing liquid soapy water,  wipe down the needle, and then shoot some more soapy water through the brush before I hang it up until the next time.

I only paint once a month or so, whenever I get the urge to make a bait, so my air brush sits in my hot garage a lot.  I've never had it work so well that painting wasn't a struggle.

After having to paint with high pressure only in my last painting session, I decided to do a thorough cleaning.

Last night I shot and backflushed some Createx Airbrush Restorer, and then broke the air brush down completely and soaked the parts overnight in the Restorer.

This morning I went back down into the garage to finish the cleaning and reassemble the air brush.

As I removed each part from the Restorer, I used Q-tips and a fine wire to clean each individual part, blowing air through each part as I went along.

I have never been this thorough in my cleaning process.

Wow!  The amount of old paint I removed with the thorough cleaning process was amazing.  It was like blowing your nose when that sinus problem finally clears up.

I have never seen that much old paint in my brush before, but, then again, I've never been that thorough before.

I won't make that mistake again.

The air brush shoots so well now, with a full spread spray instead of one side or the other being heavier, I'm inspired to paint again soon.

And I just broke down my other Iwata HP-C brush and put it in the Restorer to soak until tomorrow.

So "don't neglect your earmuffs, Mr. Longbottom".

This may be old news to you guys, but it was a real eye opener for me.

46 minutes ago, RayburnGuy said:

After doing the initial cleaning with water I always flush and back flush with acetone. Maybe once a year I will clean with airbrush restorer but have never encountered the kind of crud your talking about. Acetone is your friend.

Ben

Since you're the one who turned me on to Airbrush Restorer, I'll give the acetone backflush a try.

Thanks.

While I am spraying my lures after each color I have a bucket of hot to warm water with some soap added and blow the brush in and out of the water till clean, then using a little of brush cleaner and spray it till empty. I take apart the brushes when I start to have the slightest problem, just don't want to fight it and screw up a paint job. It takes no time at all to do. Like mark said when you think it is blowing good clean it and then see the results, you will be happy you did it .

Wayne

• Like 1