Jonah

epoxy mixing cup

If you don't find what you are looking for, this is my solution for small mixes of epoxy.

Wrap a ball of modelling clay with plastic kitchen wrap and press into a shallow dish shape with your thumbs. Stir with spatula with no sharp edges. I like to sand the edges with 200 - 400 grit.

Advantages: quick, cheap, re-usable, easy clean-up.

Dave

• Like 2

I really think we are getting carried away with this. For small amounts just use the small med cups and larger ones like me for brushing large lures the big drinking cups. How cheap can we get 3.75 for one cup that's a lot of med cups to use while waiting for epoxy to cure to pop out time is my concern just my 2 cents.

Wayne

5 hours ago, ravenlures said:

I really think we are getting carried away with this. For small amounts just use the small med cups and larger ones like me for brushing large lures the big drinking cups. How cheap can we get 3.75 for one cup that's a lot of med cups to use while waiting for epoxy to cure to pop out time is my concern just my 2 cents.

Wayne

The point is not the cost, but for a thorough mix. A concave surface with no corners is always going to be superior. Beer can bottom is the best of all, I have used it many times.

A single can bottom can be wiped and re-used many times.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ravenlures said:

I really think we are getting carried away with this. 

Wayne

The way of forums.... on open ended questions understandable specific questions well guys read/interpret questions in different ways or  participate for different reasons.  He did find the specific double silicone bowl he was looking for but he had started two threads. 

The important thing is you all missed the real issue  DEVCON or NOT ???   :lolhuh:

Edited by Travis

Iv'e used the small plastic cups people above have mentioned...have some with measuring lines some without....lately it seems that the cups are getting "HOT" by the time i finish a 5-6 inch swim bait....anyone else experiencing this issue...is the cup melting:? appears to make the epoxy "Go Off"....Devcon 2ton 30 min & Bob Smith 30 minute...michel

Epoxy curing is exothermic reaction (gives off heat).   If you mix enough volume and have sufficient depth it can heat up to surprisingly warm temperatures.  Hot enough to melt some plastics and cause burns.   Depending on volume/mass, far more than what we use for lures, curing epoxy can reach temperatures in excess of 350 °F.

Typically we mix volumes in containers that result in thin layers.  The thin layer increases surface area and allows to cool.   As the layer gets thicker it gets hotter as heat can't dissipate and the hotter it gets the faster the curing reaction progresses and further increases heat.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, surfk9 said:

Iv'e used the small plastic cups people above have mentioned...have some with measuring lines some without....lately it seems that the cups are getting "HOT" by the time i finish a 5-6 inch swim bait....anyone else experiencing this issue...is the cup melting:? appears to make the epoxy "Go Off"....Devcon 2ton 30 min & Bob Smith 30 minute...michel

Since you stated by the time you finish I doubt you have any issues in regards to proper cure and resulting performance of your top coat.  I have a lot of plastic cups deform when residual epoxy is left to cure.   

I once left a plastic salsa cup of homemade "salsa picante" on the motor cover of my van overnight.  When I found it the next morning, the plastic had softened and sagged. 

So I'm always vigilant when I use them for mixing.  But I never mix more than a quarter salsa cup at a time, and wipe the cup out with alcohol when I'm done.

That said, I don't use epoxy that often any more.  If I used it all the time, I'd get a silicone mixing cup, like the NorPro measuring cups  use to melt soft plastics.

I've been using Stainless Steel cups - small ones similar to the condiments but a little bigger.  Stainless keeps epoxy cool (longer time to apply) and after use - wipe once with paper towel to get majority of epoxy out - then a few drops of acetone and wipe again clean.  I bought 5 figuring I'd ruin them quick - still using first one - no issues if you clean it before it hardens.

J.

https://www.mcmaster.com/1811t43

• Like 1