ravenlures

Spinner Baits

If you are using them for musky then you will want the twisted wire form also known as a closed loop.  The closed loop makes a bait a little more durable but it cuts vibration down. It can also pinch your line but again, if using them for musky that isn't going to be an issue. Bass anglers usually use 10lb to 15lb line fluorocarbon or monofilament or 30 to 50lb braid with spinnerbaits so the line is thin and if the bait turns during the cast it can catch and get pinched on the twisted wire. 

6 hours ago, Jig Man said:

I agree with smalljaw.  However I use the R wire only.  In order to help keep its shape and prolong its life, I wrap braided line around the R then I tie and glue it.  That doesn’t have any effect on the way it performs and makes it a lot more durable.

I do the same thing to my .035" R bend spinnerbaits with 26 gauge wire, and coat it with gap filling super glue.  My spinnerbaits don't open up after a good fish, and they seem to vibrate just fine.  I get bit on them.

I bought some twist wire .045" 5/8 oz spinnerbaits, and the heavier wire doesn't seem to vibrate as much.

When you say "barrel roll" are you talking about a spring loop like you see on a beetle spin wire form?  I would think that would work as well but it isn't used very much and I wouldn't be able to tell you if it is better. I was told a long time ago that the reason you don't see many larger spinnerbaits with that type of line tie is because when you tie your line to it you are stopping the blade arm from vibrating. I don't know if that is true or not but I do know that when fishing the same size spinnerbait in a closed loop and an "R" bend on the same line, rod, and reel made in the same wire diameter you can feel the difference. The "R" bend vibrates noticeably more than a closed loop but I'm not sure if it is enough to make a huge difference in the amount of fish you catch. The other issue is wire diameter and bending the spring loop, if that is what you mean by barrel roll. I make that loop with .031" wire for beetle spin wire forms and I use a round nose pliers to do it but it would be hard doing it with anything over .041" which makes the twisted or closed loop a better option but again, I'm not sure about the barrel roll.