TroutSupport.com

Removing Soft Plastic Paint from plastisol baits (SB coat or VPI paints)

Anyone ever try to remove paints from painted soft plastics?   Any luck at all?  Sometimes I have some colorations that I just don't like and want to change them so if anyone has any idea how to remove coatings like this I'd love to hear it.   I'm not even sure how all of them are put on.. I think some are powders that are then heated, I don't think those will come off at all. I'm hoping there are maybe some options for the other types of coatings like dips, sb (solvent based) coats, or vpi coats or what ever else is used to paint soft plastics.. 

anyone have any ideas. 

mainly I'm trying to clean up some big musky baits that are $35 each, LOL.. 

15 hours ago, TroutSupport.com said:

Anyone ever try to remove paints from painted soft plastics?   Any luck at all?  Sometimes I have some colorations that I just don't like and want to change them so if anyone has any idea how to remove coatings like this I'd love to hear it.   I'm not even sure how all of them are put on.. I think some are powders that are then heated, I don't think those will come off at all. I'm hoping there are maybe some options for the other types of coatings like dips, sb (solvent based) coats, or vpi coats or what ever else is used to paint soft plastics.. 

anyone have any ideas. 

mainly I'm trying to clean up some big musky baits that are $35 each, LOL.. 

from what i understand they are sprayed on with a small air brush.

to remove it, you will damage the bait, it cant be helped because some plastic will come off with the color, so just spray over the areas you dont like or tell the guy you buy them from what you want, it shouldnt be a big deal for him to make you some just the way you want.

short of that, all i can think of that dissolves paint that may not eat the plastic, would be soaking it in 97% pure iso alcohol then rub the paint off, but this will leave the bait dull and remove all the paint

I use VPI thinner with a lint free paper towel. I find you have to have the paper fair well saturated with thinner and keep folding it after each wipe or you'll end up smearing the paint on to the cleaned sections of the bait. Once you try it, you'll see that the VPI thinner will soften the plastic so it needs to be done with some amount of care. The lint free paper is important as regular paper towel or even worse kleenex will start sticking to the bait and fall apart. Once your bait is clean, its also prepped for paint as the VPI thinner makes the surface slightly sticky for great paint adhesion. 

• Like 1