bigblue2

any one!

Mainly make shallow cranks and top waters as much of my fishing now ends up being wading shallow creeks.  Do make a few deeper diving cranks also but just don't fish near what I used to.

I also like to make wooden sammy style top waters.  I have turned several prop baits and poppers also.    I use basswood (99.9% of the lures) then balsa, big tooth aspen, and paulowina.     

• Like 1

Most of the stuff I turn on the lathe ends up being for others as so many that didn't fish much recall top waters from their parents or grandparents.  

I don't sell any lures anymore so mainly personal use.  I have a lot of tackle so tend to hold back on some designs as already have more than I will use in the next 40 + years.

• Like 1

After roughing out blanks with a scroll saw, I hand shape them with a Dremel tool and a wood carving knife. Do I recommend hand shaping crankbaits?  Not really.  Good baits are symmetrical and it takes experience to do them right by hand.  I’ve been “practicing” for 20+ years and hundreds of baits so know the techniques and patience required.  It’s just the way I prefer to do it as a hobby builder.

• Like 1

Dito on the PVC.. its basically just waterproof wood, which makes it extremely convenient for testing and tuning long before a bait is finished

It does seem like lure builders are far outnumbered by lure painters on here... nothing against em, i just recently got an airbrush and can now fully appreciate the amount of skill the painters hail.... but i still can't see a parallel in the satisfaction of a pretty paint job vs a great fishing handmade lure 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobP said:

After roughing out blanks with a scroll saw, I hand shape them with a Dremel tool and a wood carving knife. Do I recommend hand shaping crankbaits?  Not really.  Good baits are symmetrical and it takes experience to do them right by hand.  I’ve been “practicing” for 20+ years and hundreds of baits so know the techniques and patience required.  It’s just the way I prefer to do it as a hobby builder.

Bob,

For me, the fun of hand shaping a lure, and trying to get it symmetrical by eye, is a process I also enjoy.  Many times, when I have free time, I'll just go down into the garage and carve/shape lures just to have something to do with my hands.

Love making lures from wood! I feel like the home lure builders like myself slow down a bit in summer. More fishing less building and posting. It’s my winter past time.  I totally agree with you Mark  shaping and carving is fun and relaxing  

I’m working on a copy of my favourite soft bait. A Hybrid bulldawg type lure.  I may have to Try the pvc, I really enjoy working with wood. But it is less predictable.

16311F15-C351-49CC-A881-D2E35849745B.jpeg

• Like 1