McDerpface

Fixing up fish eyes in epoxy clear coat

I've got a bunch of lures turning right now, and I can see fish eyes developing. Just wanted to check whether my fixing idea is good enough. 

Just to give some background, I've got an assortment of crankbaits and poppers on the rack, hand painted (don't have an airbrush) with acrylic paints. This first clear coat is with 24 hour epoxy, and I honestly didn't know that contaminants from my hands could cause divots to form in the epoxy. Live and learn, I guess. 

What I'm thinking of doing tomorrow, once this lot's hardened, is sand them down a little, then give the lures a quick rub down with a bit of soapy water on some tissue paper (I'll be wearing gloves this time) to get rid of any contaminants. Then I'm going to wipe them down with a damp bit of tissue, then dry them off. Once all this is done, the second coat goes on. 

Do you think this will work? 

When I dip or use epoxy I make a lip out of tape and put that on the lip and  grab that, also I have all my lures in a two point holder so I don't touch the lures at any time during painting. When I dip in KBS I use a paper clip to hold on to while dipping. KBS I let drip and epoxy I put in a turner.

Wayne

• Like 2

I haven't used any syringes, mainly because they freak me out. Won't go into any more details. 

The temperature here has varied better 20-30 C, and the humidity has been all over the place. It's at 70% now. 

I'm guessing the finishing on the surface may have also affected the epoxy too. I probably should have sanded down the unpainted lure some more. That said, I think that this batch has come out alright. 

They are (from top to bottom) The Nebuchadnezzar, The Seasick Trout, The Flopper, The Leper, and The Sunburnt Irishman. The last two are squids and I'm still waiting for the skirts in the mail. 

IMG_20191003_182148.JPG