mark poulson

New 3 1/2" ploppers

Hey Mark, what diameter wire do you use with these baits?  I'm assuming there's one through-wire going through the entire bait that the tail spins on, and then a twist eye hook hanger in the belly, is that correct?  These look great!

I've only used a plopper once, I think it was called an Awaker.  I had a pretty decent muskie/pike hit it, but had the drag set wrong, so instead of catching a nice fish I just saw a nice surface strike...

21 minutes ago, Big Epp said:

Hey Mark, what diameter wire do you use with these baits?  I'm assuming there's one through-wire going through the entire bait that the tail spins on, and then a twist eye hook hanger in the belly, is that correct?  These look great!

I've only used a plopper once, I think it was called an Awaker.  I had a pretty decent muskie/pike hit it, but had the drag set wrong, so instead of catching a nice fish I just saw a nice surface strike...

I use an .051 through wire for my bass ploppers, but I did try the .062.  It was a bear to bend to form the tail loop/hook hanger, but I could do it.

I just find the .051 is plenty strong for bass.  I buy the 12" wire loops, just in case I want to make a longer plopper.  The 8" and the 12" wire bunches are the same price, so I opt for the 12".

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Wire-Shafts/Looped-End-Wire-Shafts.html

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

I use an .051 through wire for my bass ploppers, but I did try the .062.  It was a bear to bend to form the tail loop/hook hanger, but I could do it.

I just find the .051 is plenty strong for bass.  I buy the 12" wire loops, just in case I want to make a longer plopper.  The 8" and the 12" wire bunches are the same price, so I opt for the 12".

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Wire-Shafts/Looped-End-Wire-Shafts.html

Thanks Mark!

• Like 1