Joelh831

32786bln mustad hooks

Ok everyone got a question about mustad hooks. 

I’m familiar with the 32786 mustad ultra point hooks and think their great. 

Just recently I purchased some 32786bln from a guy for a great price. One I got them I compared them to the ones I have and they did have some inconsistency’s. First the nickle finish is not as black as the current hooks and also the barb was a bit longer than the current mustad 32786. I also noticed that the very tip was more of a round shape on the ones I just bought and the newer ones have like a cone or pyramid type tip and it the bend wasn’t exactly the same. Although all the hooks (500) of them are very consistent to each other. 

So i did bring this concerns up to the seller and he said that they were old stock at least 15 years old if not older and that he had purchased them from a company called R3 baits when they closed down. He did send me pictures of the boxes and they did look different from the new boxes. 

So i guess I would like to find out is was the 32786 hook change or upgrades throughout the years? Did they change the finish from bien a almost gun metal blackish nickle to more of black nickle? Did they change from being 32786bln to ultra point and would cause the differences I noticed. 

Im uploading some pictures of the hooks and boxes. The new or real is what I recently got and the ones with old or a question mark are the “old” or questionable hooks. I also circled what my concerns are on the hooks  and hope someone can confirm if they are authentic but old stock and style hooks or if they are fakes  

Thanks guys 

If they are 15 years old or older then they will probably look different than current ones. All hook manufacturers have upgrades in the last 8 - 10 years, Eagle Claw just finished with their own hook point revision not too long ago. Mustad also began manufacturing some of their hooks in China and I've had some issues with some of the models after they did this. I still use a few Mustad hooks but not as many as I once did, For the 32786 I now use the Eagle Claw 786BP and the VMC 7161. Anyway, the hooks you got should be fine and if you are worried about the point just hit it with a hook file.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have a box of hooks from Mustad from years ago, before the China hooks. They were not the 33786, but 32798. They are slightly different than the current production run. I can tell you the the older Mustad hooks were probably better than the current ones. As far as finish goes, plating colors vary from lot to lot. No need to worry about color. Use them and you will be fine.

• Like 1