Chance_Taker4

Dead On Plastix Help

So I just used Dead On for the first time tonight. It heated up fantastic and I noticed that it was as thin as water when i got it to the proper temp. I shot it in a BTS Mold wait 15mins and the sprue was still water. Waited another 10 it was thicker like a motor oil. Put the mold in the freezer for 15 minutes no change in consistency. Here we are 1 hour and 45 minutes after heating it up and shooting it and the plastic in the measuring cup and mold are still not firm. It's become too thick to shoot or pour but still so soft I cannot take it out of the mold without ruining the bait and if I tip the cup it will still run out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Is there hard pack at the bottom of the jug?  It is white, so it can be hard to see.

this ^^^^^

not all plastics are the same, some hard pack and you must dig up and get the sediments off the bottom and mixed in well

once you get it mixed well all you have to do is remix it regularly each day so it doesnt repack on you

• Like 1

I have no issues with deadon. I make sure it’s a consistent 350 throughout the whole cup. Meaning, once I see 350 on the thermometer, I stir it and take another reading, throw it in the microwave again and stir again. I make sure I can see 350 after stirring. That way I know the whole cup was cooked. No sticky baits, works super well

• Like 2

I was going to start a new topic but saw this one.  I have used Dead On Plastic for my swim baits with no problems.  I recently tried their finesse floating formula.  When I poured it, it was like water, super thin.  The plastic just poured out of the injector as I tried to get it to the molds.  It took an exceptionally long time to set and was very messy and sticky.  I had severe flashing problems. It got everywhere when I was trying to clean up.  I did the following prior to the pour:

- poured it into a bucket and mixed it thoroughly with a paint mixer

- heated it to 360 degrees, after mixing and with a digital thermometer

- I never really noticed the plastic "turn over"

- checked that there was no packed plastic on the bottom of the jug

- after hours of curing in cold water the baits are firm and not tacky

Is this because of the finesse or floating plastic?  I know that Dead On hardens at lower temps but I can't really work with it as is.  Any suggestions are appreciated as well as recommendations for other plastics.  Thanks in advance,

Joe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joe406 said:

I was going to start a new topic but saw this one.  I have used Dead On Plastic for my swim baits with no problems.  I recently tried their finesse floating formula.  When I poured it, it was like water, super thin.  The plastic just poured out of the injector as I tried to get it to the molds.  It took an exceptionally long time to set and was very messy and sticky.  I had severe flashing problems. It got everywhere when I was trying to clean up.  I did the following prior to the pour:

- poured it into a bucket and mixed it thoroughly with a paint mixer

- heated it to 360 degrees, after mixing and with a digital thermometer

- I never really noticed the plastic "turn over"

- checked that there was no packed plastic on the bottom of the jug

- after hours of curing in cold water the baits are firm and not tacky

Is this because of the finesse or floating plastic?  I know that Dead On hardens at lower temps but I can't really work with it as is.  Any suggestions are appreciated as well as recommendations for other plastics.  Thanks in advance,

Joe

Joe,

I’ve used dead on floating jerk bait and worm blends without any issues. I just shake the gallon jug for a bit before pouring in Pyrex. 

the only other thing I can think that I do that might be different is that when I stir the plastic in between microwave intervals while trying to get it up to temp, I make sure that my stirring  stick is reaching the bottom of the cup and then coming back up, basically to make sure the stuff at the bottom comes up and cooks evenly.

this is the same way I cook any plastic. Not a special technique for deadon by the way.

only other thing I can think of is that maybe your thermometer isn’t accurate and your not actually reaching 350? 

I say that because I 100% of the time see the plastic “turn over” from a gelatinous phase back into a liquid form.

hope that helps

1 hour ago, JP_I'm_here said:

Joe,

I’ve used dead on floating jerk bait and worm blends without any issues. I just shake the gallon jug for a bit before pouring in Pyrex. 

the only other thing I can think that I do that might be different is that when I stir the plastic in between microwave intervals while trying to get it up to temp, I make sure that my stirring  stick is reaching the bottom of the cup and then coming back up, basically to make sure the stuff at the bottom comes up and cooks evenly.

this is the same way I cook any plastic. Not a special technique for deadon by the way.

only other thing I can think of is that maybe your thermometer isn’t accurate and your not actually reaching 350? 

I say that because I 100% of the time see the plastic “turn over” from a gelatinous phase back into a liquid form.

hope that helps

I agree that I've always seen a distinct turnover with their and other branded plastic.  This was like trying to work with water.  I just made another batch with the swim bait formula and used my usual thermometer, no problems.  I did contact them.  Thanks,

Joe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I am guessing that the hardener is the stuff that comes out of suspension and packs at the bottom, since the unmixed stuff is so soft.

Maybe the finesse floating formula needs to cooked in a different way.  I'd contact Dead On Plastics and ask them.

Good suggestion, I did this and left a message (after hours).  I already received a text in return offering to help.  Seems like pretty good customer service.

Joe

4 hours ago, Apdriver said:

Never heard of any plastisol having these characteristics. Seems unworkable.

I agree.  Very difficult and frustrating.  If it is something I'm doing, I hope to correct the issue.  Hope you're staying out of China,

Joe

• Like 1

I made a stir stick to mix up my Dead On gallon jugs. Chuck it in the drill and mix away. Beats shaking the guts out of it. I used a 12” long 1/4” wooden rod with a groove cut up the center about an 1 1/2”. I then inserted a piece of plastic milk jug cut just shy the opening width and drilled pilot holes through the wood and plastic. Then I applied glue and used finishing nails as holding pins. All that’s left is to trim the corners up, cut the nails off, grind them down flush and wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol to remove any debris. 

66B7934A-8FD2-40DE-8C64-DC1FB369AE91.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2020 at 8:10 PM, Spencejc said:

I have also noticed the floating finesse seems to take a lot longer to set up in the molds. What suggestions did dead on give you?

They are sending me a new gallon on plastic.  Hopefully no problems.

Joe