Kasilofchrisn

Buying spinnerbait skirts question?

So while I was at moose hunting with my dad at his cabin he was talking about making him some fishing lures.

He's had this cabin about a year and a half or so and were really just starting to figure out how to fish it.

I've already been planning to make some lures anyway and ordered some new molds and will use some existing molds I own.

I'm also going to be making some spinners using my wire formers.

The lake is full of big lake trout, burbot, and grayling.

Anywho my dad was talking about watching a lake trout fishing video where they were using a unique spinner.

And he bought one the other day to show me what it was.

Turns out it was a spinnerbait.

So of course I ordered some hidden weight spinnerbait molds in sizes up to 2 oz for some lake trout fishing next summer.

Now I need to order the components.

Powder paint I have plenty of and that's what I will use to paint them with.

But I need to order some skirt material for these.

I've never used this style skirt before as I generally just use a one-piece skirt such as a hoochie with the tip cut off.

I was thinking of ordering some kits for these but I wasn't sure if that was the best way to go or if I should order the tabs separately?

I'm thinking for colors I will start with some basic colors such as chartreuse, blue, green, etc.

But I also don't know how many tabs I will need per spinnerbait.

Especially the larger sizes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris,

Number of Tabs is relevant to what you want. I make spinnerbait for guys with 3 tabs,(66 strands). The spinnerbait looks fuller and has a slower fall. The majority of the spinnerbaits I use have 2 to 2-1/2 tabs. That seems to be common around here. Also you can mix your tabs with the round rubber strands or do a straight all rubber skirt. The all rubber skirt really looks alive in the water. Those come in mostly solid colors and come in fine , medium and heavy. The fine strands are really lively in the water. I mix the fine strands with the silicone tabs, it makes a good balance. Check out the file below it has a mix of jigs with solid rubber and silicone, but you can apply that to spinnerbaits as well. The customer wanted rubber on the bottom and silicone on top. However you can intermingle all the strands and it comes out really nice. My suggestion to you is this. Try different number of tabs and or rubber skirt material, and see what you like and what gets bit. You can also keep your strands long or make them shorter . There are a lot of options for you to customize. The best place I found with the largest selection of silicone tabs is fishingskirts.com. If you need more help post up on the forum.Good luck in building your spinnerbaits.

pics.pdf

Edited by cadman