eelslinger

Jighead hook keepers

Does anyone know what Kind of material this is made out of, or how they even put it on the hook. Eagle claw and some other companies have been using  this and it works really well at keeping soft plastics on the hook.  It doesn’t seem like rubber like from shrink tubing, it’s kind of a very very thick hard plastic and it doesn’t budge. I’ve tried using the best shrink tube I could find and it doesn’t even compare. It stays flexible and even the shrink wrap with the glue inside Still slides up and down the hook eventually. If I can figure it out, I would like to use it on my jig heads.

A949EE7F-46CE-4852-9F58-303DF24E6DB5.png

A little tip on something I've been doing that works really well for a bait keeper .

I take a single staple for a staple gun and using nylon thread ( rod guide , jig tying thread, or upholstry ) and tightly wrap the staple onto the hook shank and finish with a whip knot in whatever location you want on the hook . The leg(s) of the staple will be sticking straight out from the hook shank . I then bend them forward towards the line tie at a 45 deg angle and clip them off to about 1/8" long barbs using dikes . 

Now coat the thread with super glue and you have a simple and strong keeper.

You can use a whole staple for 2 barb keepers or cut the staple in half (before tying) for a single barb keeper . I use thinner lighter gauge staples for finesse type baits with lighter hooks . 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 6:40 AM, eelslinger said:

Great ideas !I was looking for a little bit faster method than having to tie the keepers on, but I’ll give it a shot. Only thing with that staple would have to be stainless because most of my jigs Are for saltwater use,. What are the brush guards made out of? Plastic?

Yes, plastic.

• Like 1