Tres

Having issues with clear coat.

I can't get clear coat right for the life of me. I keep getting spots like the ones in the pictures. Here is my process.

1. Squeeze epoxy out of the syringe (Devcon 2 ton epoxy) into a plastic cup

2. Slowly stir with a plastic stir stick or paintbrush

3. Use a paint brush to apply the epoxy making sure there isn't any part of the bait without epoxy on it

4. Put the bait on the lure turner

My first bait I did was perfect and I've had issues ever since that one. I used a nicer paintbrush with that one as opossed to cheaper paintbrushes out of a 5 pack on everything since. Could this be the issue? I'm going to pick up some different paint brushes today and see if that helps.

20191027_130721.jpg

20191027_130735.jpg

Fish eyes are from oils from your hands etc... The epoxy shy's away in oily areas. It's not the brush's, cups, etc  unless you are getting a foreign substance on them. Some wah their hands really well with dawn dish soap before they paint/handle their baits... Some use latex/nitrile gloves. 

I use KBS Diamond Clear and all of those issues went away. 

Edited by 21xdc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 21xdc said:

Fish eyes are from oils from your hands etc... The epoxy shy's away in oily areas. It's not the brush's, cups, etc  unless you are getting a foreign substance on them. Some wah their hands really well with dawn dish soap before they paint/handle their baits... Some use latex/nitrile gloves. 

I use KBS Diamond Clear and all of those issues went away. 

I plan on going to KBS once I am out of this epoxy. But even in the future I think I will use some 2 step epoxy so I can use some glitter on the bait.

So in the meantime just don't ever handle the bait with bare hands once the painting process starts and until the bait is fully clear coated?

Small lures I use KBS and let it drip, larger lures like Musky lures I use Etex-Lite epoxy and put in a lure turner. I thin out the epoxy a little. Now your problem I would say like 21xdc either use gloves when touching your lures or have some sort of a holder for the lures, on most of my lures I have them in a holder all the way through the process not ever touching them. For the size that is in the picture I would go with KBS and double dip them.

Wayne

You might try shooting a coat of clear Createx, like transparent base, over the whole bait, heat setting it, and then coating it with your epoxy, using nitril gloves to keep you finger oils off of the bait.

Someone here suggested applying the epoxy with a gloved finger, instead of a brush.  That would force the epoxy onto the bait with good contact to the surface, may trap less air than brushing might.

Last, if you're using Devcon 30 minute, and get bare spots, after it cures out, put some epoxy on just the bare spots, let it cure, sand any irregularities smooth, wipe with alcohol, and then recoat with another batch of epoxy.

I seldom use epoxy any more for just these issues.

I get same issue at times when building rods and laying down the label/stickers.... oils and contamination is the issue.  After ALOT of trial and error.. more error... and research.... Marks response above is you're best bet.... spray a clearcoat (could even be krylon from a can if that's compatible with your paint) - let it dry then epoxy - use a clean brush to apply.  That has been working for me.

Do NOT wipe down with alcohol or a paper towel to "get stuff off"....  I found alcohol can cause issues as well as the glues in paper towels.

J.

• Like 1

raw blanks I wash with dawn detergent and hot water, quick rinsne them never touch. glove may help but touching or even sneezing can leave some oils that are hard to remove.  I have used fish eye eliminator from auto paint store with success and you can get a spray oil and silicone remover spray and clean with that. Both work but are expensive

• Like 1

I recently began building my own baits and, although I've gotten pretty good at balancing and airbrushing, I have had theses same issues with epoxy consistently and it has been extremely frustrating. So much time spent perfecting each aspect only to have it ruined during the final stage. In the attached image you can see how the epoxy is kind of.....pooling on the head and belly of the lure. Thanks to OP for the question and to all of the good folks who responded. Thanks to this post I think I know what my problem is and will now adjust my technique accordingly. 

Thanks to all!

74205769_10157888566953552_5600389276672983040_n.jpg

Edited by fishordie79
Added image.