RedRum

Small bubbles 10 Min Resin

In an effort to produce resin blanks, I get varied results from one blank to the next with really small bubbles that end up almost impossible to sand out or seal over. End results are a silicon mold that reflects that BS! I can’t degass because it sets up to fast. Any ideas on how I can resolve the issue?

I have struggled with the same problem for a long time. Fast cure does not allow degassing so what do you do. If you are using urethane resins like RC3, store in the driest place you can. Moisture is a killer and will cause a lot of bubbles. I have seen that firsthand. Older resins that have been open for awhile produce way more bubbles than resin just opened/unsealed. Next solution sounds like BS but has helped me big time. Put baby powder in the mold first, close it and shake. Open the mold and let the powder out. I usually slap the two sides together to get it out. This should leave a really light coat of powder in the mold. Now pour you resin. You may still see the bubbles but most will be just under the surface and not popped on the surface. My baits are not perfect, but this reduced surface popped bubbles by about 90%.

• Like 1

There are a couple of things you can do with your silicone mold to reduce bubbles; wmix the silicone slowly to limit bubbles, and then with a paint brush, paint a thin layer of silicone over the item you're molding while it's in your mold box, and make sure there are no bubbles on it. When its coated then pour the rest of the silicone into the mold box. The think layer will help bubbles slide off. Now if you don't have a gassing chamber you can put your mold box on top of a washing machine on its spin cycle, or if you have a vibrating device.. you can get a small vibrating motor for a couple of bucks at the robotic websites. 

To get it out of your resin, mix your resin slowly for a few minutes to prevent bubbles. There is no race on mixing resin. If you're in an area that's 75 ish degrees you should be okay to set the mixed resin aside for a few min for remaining bubbles to go up, or you can also use a form of vibration to get the bubbles up. If there are a lot of bubbles on top you can use a lighter and move it quickly on top, this will pop bubbles on the surface of your resin. I would also recommend painting the inside of your mold with wet resin before pouring so bubbles won't stick, and putting the poured resin mold on a vibrating device if you dont have a degassing chamber.

• Like 1