badhatharry

Eyes

3 hours ago, ravenlures said:

I just pick the one that matches the rest of the color of the fish, or a more natural one.

Wayne

Although I believe in the "match the hatch" theory, I also think it's not a bad thing to look different from every other fish in the school.

Case in point....I don't throw an umbrella rig very often, but when I do I always make sure that one of the baits stands out, i.e., different color, size, or tail action.  Quite often that's the one that gets bit.

Bass eat leech's, worms, crayfish, hellgrammites, mice, dragonflies, snakes, ducks, birds, minnows, etc every day... No need to home in on eyes in my opinion... I prefer the lure to look like the food that they eat every day. The eyes don't play any effect on any of the food I mentioned above.... Especially on a crankbait running erratically at 3-4 mph. They cant see scales, kill dots, or eyes when moving.

• Like 1

Nature gives us a clue as to the importance of eyes on lures. My prime example is butterflies. I quickly scanned through my collection of 90 species photographs and determined that roughly 30% display distinct eye patterns on their wings.

These false eyes are developed by evolution, natural selection. When an anomaly or fault occurs, if it gives the insect an advantage, then the good fault is passed to its offspring. More faults can occur that enhance the original fault, giving it more detail. If an advantage is gained, it is also passed on.

Some butterflies have developed false heads with antennae that actually move. Another butterfly has developed a snake pattern. All of this to ward off birds, to make the bird see something different than a meal.

My point is that the appearance of eyes is a key part of the predator’s recognition of the meal. If the predator expects to see eyes and the eyes are not there, then the meal may be rejected. The evolutionary false eye is also developed on some species of fish. These could be to make the meal seem larger than it actually is, or to fool the predator into attacking further back and missing the meal.

Predators are not attracted to actual patterns on the fish, but they do expect to see eyes if their chosen meal is supposed to have eyes.

My opinions based on observations in nature.

Dave

• Like 2

LOL... Some of you guys crack me up... One of the best baits out there is this... No eyes, Looks nothing like anything, and not colored like anything in nature... Yet, They eat it anyway.  LOL. 

022-100-black-sapphire-brush-hog.jpg

And a spinnerbait looks nothing like food... May be the all time money winner on any bass circuit... War Eagle with NO EYES... 

710KP958w-L._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

Hypothesis:

If the evolution of various forms of life which Vodkaman talks of results in the creation of “false eyes” or mimicry which a predictor would not consider a meal, these species are more successful at longevity, passing on genetics, and not becoming eaten. Therefore, would it not be best to design a bait that did not have eyes and is more likely in an instance to be eaten. Or, would the bait have already gone the way of the dodo because no angler would buy it and the maker himself starved?:?

Carver GLX - the predator expects to see eyes were they are expected to be. Large false eyes give the impression of a larger prey, probably beyond the capability of the bird. The false eyes work as I have plenty of images of Lycaenidae hairstreaks with their rear ends bitten off because the bird went for the wrong end of the butterfly.

More examples of the importance of eyes; when you get the attention of your dog, he/she looks into your eyes, not your mouth were the noise is coming from or your hands which are directing. Same thing with cats, horses, cows and so on.

If a lure is representing a fish, the predator expects to see eyes. The predator does not expect to see eyes on a worm, neither does the worm move like a fish.

I am not saying that eyes are essential, only that they can make a difference. In my opinion; movement and vibration is most important, then eyes, and a distant third would be paint.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 5:02 AM, 21xdc said:

Great thread... Lets not forget that fish have a brain the size of a pea. LOL... I have never seen a fish swim like a crankbait.... Where the eyes "Cant be seen"  :yawn:  

Baits with the paint knocked off always are the best producers....  LOL 

haha Nate from Marling Baits caught Bass using a Block of wood... let alone the other crazy things he has made to catch Bass. I would think it's more for the fisherman but hey whatever gives someone confidence and works

Haha, great points.  Pea brained brutes that are designed to hunt and eat!  I choose eyes based on whatever looks good to me.  I don't have a big selection of sizes and colors, sometimes ill paint them on as well. 

I went even farther! If two eyes are good on a bait, maybe four eyes will be twice as good! haha

IMG_0881.JPG

Edited by eastman03
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, eastman03 said:

Haha, great points.  Pea brained brutes that are designed to hunt and eat!  I choose eyes based on whatever looks good to me.  I don't have a big selection of sizes and colors, sometimes ill paint them on as well. 

I went even farther! If two eyes are good on a bait, maybe four eyes will be twice as good! haha

IMG_0881.JPG

what kind of lure is this got any more camera angles?