Northern Rage

Hello from Canada

Hi everyone I found this forum from a gent named Smalljaw and I'm grateful for it.

A few months ago I was given some lure making stuff it looks like it's mainly for Salmon and Trout but I'm a Bass and Pike angler so I thought I could use it for that,  looking forward to learning how to tie maribou and hair jigs and meeting fellow anglers 

Pleased to meet you all

20190721_130546.jpg

• Like 1

I have no doubt that the parts that you have in your possession will be useful for your chosen adversary. They are all ferocious predators, but salmon require that extra skill of enticement, as they do not naturally feed in fresh waters.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to experiment :)

Dave

4 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

I have no doubt that the parts that you have in your possession will be useful for your chosen adversary. They are all ferocious predators, but salmon require that extra skill of enticement, as they do not naturally feed in fresh waters.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to experiment :)

Dave

Yeah I'm more of a bass guy though lol

I only fish for salmon in the great lakes when they are staging in the lake getting ready to go up river, imo fishing for them in the river is just flossing 

3 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Flossing in rivers is what a lot of people resort to but you can get them to bite too. It’s all about making them angry 

I grew up on the west coast of BC and guided salmon in rivers for a few years if you ever want to try some of the west coast salmon tactics just ask 

Thank you I'll do that, you will be hearing from me in the fall lol 

On 2/8/2020 at 8:31 AM, Hillbilly voodoo said:

Flossing in rivers is what a lot of people resort to but you can get them to bite too. It’s all about making them angry 

I grew up on the west coast of BC and guided salmon in rivers for a few years if you ever want to try some of the west coast salmon tactics just ask 

Haven't done any salmon fishing in years, but I'm not familiar with that technique?  My mind is going to chumming.  LOL

5 minutes ago, alsworms said:

Haven't done any salmon fishing in years, but I'm not familiar with that technique?  My mind is going to chumming.  LOL

Flossing is basically rigging up so you drift the line through the salmons mouth so the hook catches in the corner of the mouth. Lots of salmon fishing methods do this but 3 most common are bottom bouncing, float fishing rigged for it, and swinging flies. Bottom bouncing is the most effective if you get a feel for it and know the seams the run up. 

A lot of guys don’t even realize they are doing it and swear they are biting. but if you look at their fish everyone is hooked in the outside corner of the mouth lol

25years ago it was not popular in BC but now bottom bouncing is the main method used. It has gotten to a point there was talk of leader restrictions being lobbied for before I moved.

• Like 1