bigblue2

how to cut a segmented jointed lure?

Easiest way for me was to partially cut the joint before ever cutting out the lure shape.. in other words, cut a 45 degree angle part way thru each side of a block, then cut out your shape and do all your carving.. when youre finished carving, go back and finish the cuts

A band saw makes this alot easier since you can use the fence to line up the cuts perfectly on each side... and a little trick i found to finish the cuts without destroying the lure (or cutting off a finger), open up the door to the top blade wheel and turn it by hand

5 hours ago, JRammit said:

Oh, and its also easier to drill the pin holes in the block before cutting... youll need an acurate center line around the block to line up the tru hole on each side.... heres an easy way to mark the center of any flat piece of material

jrammit could you show a picture of how to cut the joint 

Heres the basic idea... just set your fence up at the length you want to cut your joint and set your (idk what its called, angle guide) at 45 degrees... then cut without cutting all the way thru,  then flip the block over without moving the fence and cut again....... then drill your pin hole.... then cut out your shape and do all your carving

20191103_225535.jpg

20191103_225547.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JRammit said:

Heres the basic idea... just set your fence up at the length you want to cut your joint and set your (idk what its called, angle guide) at 45 degrees... then cut without cutting all the way thru,  then flip the block over without moving the fence and cut again....... then drill your pin hole.... then cut out your shape and do all your carving

20191103_225535.jpg

20191103_225547.jpg

thanks j it looks pretty straight forward to understand cutting on band saw thanks for your info!

No prob... definitely easier to see in a picture than to explain in words

The hard part tho, for me, is cutting the hinge slots once you have your pieces separated... i came up with an idea for that, but havnt tried it yet.... cool thing about PVC is it melts, so next time im gonna try heating up a nail or a piece of wire and melting the slots instead of cutting them

Edited by JRammit