TerryF2858

tip/help on painting these

good afternoon, i have the following molds: 

SPJ-3-ATK 9003495.jpg

025724034674.jpg
BSH-3-SA 

the questions: 

i poured the jigs with the weed guards in, it went well, only a few bad ones. Now i want to powder coat them, i have Teflon tubes, and painting is going OK, but when i go to bake them for the finish, the tubes slide off or the weed guards sag, or they flare out and sag, any tips or ideas, i tried to use tape to hold them, but it gets to hot and it melts the glue on the tape. i may try foil next time or maybe foil to hold the tubes in place. 
i use a fluid bed that has the vibrator built in.
any tips would be great 

thank you 

terry 

Edited by TerryF2858

The easiest way to paint is to pour with the provided steel pin, then remove and replace with a teflon pin. Then paint with teflon pin intact and remove the pin after baking and curing paint. Then epoxy your weedguard in after paint is complete. You could also pour with teflon pin instead of steel one. The teflon pins are reusable and readily available. I purchased teflon rods of the proper diameter from amazon and cut them into pins.

• Like 1

i already have a bunch poured and trimmed, so i painted a few and the problem showed up, so may have to rethink pouring with the weed guards, and try the pins and epoxy, but was thinking the weed guard may not be as strong with just the epoxy, thats why i poured them the way i did. 

thank you for the suggestions, hope to get a few more ideas.

Terry,

Like mentioned above. Glue or epoxy your weedguards in after they are baked. I have been doing this for over 15 years and have no issues of weedguards falling out. There are many guys here that pour without a weedguard and then glue in afterwords. If you need more help you can PM me .

You can prime them with Rustoleum Self Etching primer (thank you Cadman), paint them with Createx, and then top coat them with either epoxy or clear nail polish.

Or you can find a nail polish that's the right color, and just use that for your paint.  A clear top coat will help the paint last until you lose them, or the hooks get too dull to use.

39 minutes ago, TerryF2858 said:

do you use 5 min epoxy or the 30 min one, or gorilla epoxy, i see those teflon pins, they are really nice. probably will need to get a bunch, anyone sell in 100 bags or 50's

Devcon 2-ton epoxy. If it says 2 ton then you have the 30 minute and it is the right stuff. BTW, Devcon 2-ton has an actual working time of 12 minutes, not really a full 30.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TerryF2858 said:

do you use 5 min epoxy or the 30 min one, or gorilla epoxy, i see those teflon pins, they are really nice. probably will need to get a bunch, anyone sell in 100 bags or 50's

You can get the pins from Cadman.

Get ahold of him here or on his website.

http://cadmansjigs.weebly.com/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Munkin said:

I use Super Glue GEL to glue the weedguards in after painting. The only one that ever came out way on a 40+" Tiger Musky that also dislodged the lead around the hook.

Allen

Exactly what I do and have never had a weedguard pull out.  Make sure to use the super glue GEL, as the liquid will wick up the weedguard and cause problems.

• Like 1