bigblue2

how long to cure?

I’ve used both Devcon 2T and BSI 30 minute epoxies. I put them on a bait turner and turn them for eight hours. They are probably cured in less time than that, but I let them turn overnight. I also don’t like to handle for twenty four hours, but after that I’ll put hooks on. I may be overly cautious, but it doesn’t hurt anything. Doing this i’ve never messed up a bait. Also as Danubesalmon said, temperature matters. If you live where it gets cold, curing takes longer in the cold.

1 hour ago, JRammit said:

Epoxy used for hardware ill handle gently after an hour... epoxy used for top coat i put it away somewhere safe and wont touch it until the following day... even if its set in an hour its still soft and sometimes still sticky

the lures are   still sticky after 12 hours drying time  maybe I will have to add more hardner  next time    

56 minutes ago, bigblue2 said:

the lures are   still sticky after 12 hours drying time  maybe I will have to add more hardner  next time    

Try and follow the manufacturers mixing instructions.  A bad ratio in some epoxies will result in coats that never harden.

As AZsouth said, cold will slow epoxy curing, so keeping the temps up in the 60's minimum will help it cure more quickly

Epoxy cures by a molecular chemical reaction  between the resin and hardener.  To get a good result you have to measure the epoxy accurately according to the manufacturer’s instructions and mix it thoroughly.  If the proportions are off, excess resin or hardener will not bond and the finish will be tacky.  If you have not mixed thoroughly, tacky finish again.  Don’t guess at the volumes required.  MEASURE them.  It might help to let us know what brand and type of epoxy you are trying to use.  If your finish is tacky after 12 hrs whatever the brand, you have a problem.  It can usually be fixed by a second coat of properly measured and mixed epoxy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BobP said:

Epoxy cures by a molecular chemical reaction  between the resin and hardener.  To get a good result you have to measure the epoxy accurately according to the manufacturer’s instructions and mix it thoroughly.  If the proportions are off, excess resin or hardener will not bond and the finish will be tacky.  If you have not mixed thoroughly, tacky finish again.  Don’t guess at the volumes required.  MEASURE them.  It might help to let us know what brand and type of epoxy you are trying to use.  If your finish is tacky after 12 hrs whatever the brand, you have a problem.  It can usually be fixed by a second coat of properly measured and mixed epoxy.

I mixed up my last  of old epoxy I had left and applied to sticky lures  let dry for a few more hours and no more sticky coats thanks bobp!   

• Like 1

I use Enviro-tex Lite and a home made lure turner.  I mix the 2-part epoxy for a full 5 minutes before using and I also place the bottles of each part in warm water to expedite the mixing process.  I brush the mix on with disposable brushes from Amazon on my lure turner and let them turn for 24 hrs.  At that point I can remove them and put on hardware as needed.  Probably overkill, but it works for me.

• Like 1

How long shall it take to dry depends on epoxy used. It should state on the packaging how long does it take to cure. They start from 2min and up. It is nothing unusual if your lures are sticky after 12 hours if you used a long curing epoxy. Then, there is the temperature, if it is cold it takes longer, if it is warm/hot, less. When i am in a hurry, i place my lures above or even between the slots of an oil radiator. It shortens the time dramatically, but epoxy will run, so you have to have this in mind. Again, one should be carefull about fire hazard.

DanubeSalmon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DanubeSalmon said:

How long shall it take to dry depends on epoxy used. It should state on the packaging how long does it take to cure. They start from 2min and up. It is nothing unusual if your lures are sticky after 12 hours if you used a long curing epoxy. Then, there is the temperature, if it is cold it takes longer, if it is warm/hot, less. When i am in a hurry, i place my lures above or even between the slots of an oil radiator. It shortens the time dramatically, but epoxy will run, so you have to have this in mind. Again, one should be carefull about fire hazard.

DanubeSalmon

thanks for all the info my lures have been drying for 12 hours just a little tacky should be  cured in 24 hours again thanks for all your inputs!

• Like 1