fishordie79

Painting on Foil?

Hello TU Community!

So I bought several sheets of lure foil in different patterns but I have yet to try them out. I was just wondering if these foils can be painted over? Seems to me like painting over them may result in running or slowly drying paint. Does anyone have any experience with this they can share? I am using Createx paints. 

Try ''U-Pol - Grip # 4'', it could be handy here.  I have used it quite a bit with gold / silver and copper leaf to promote adherence, with good results on these surfaces, although they are sheet metal, when polished they are just as slippery as foil.

You may have to modify the compound once out of the spray can, so you can lightly spray the foil.

Test it first - - - - - - - - - - - - -  it's supposed to work on a wide variety of surfaces (made for aid in spray painting cars, dries clear).

Pete :yay:

• Like 1

I only use silver aluminum adhesive foil, specifically Venture tape hvac foil.  I think it’s manufactured in Europe and comes in various thicknesses.  I got it on EBay, where I bought the thinnest available.  Venture used to sell Brite-Bak adhesive foil for stained glass art which was very thin and perfect for crankbaits.  I think it was discontinued but the thinner Venture hvac foils are also very good, much better than the thick hvac foil tapes I’ve seen in home centers.  Other guys use or have tried a wide variety of foils including colored art foils, silver and gold leaf, heat applied foil, etc. but hvac has been the simplest and cheapest solution for me.  When I want color, I spray it lightly with transparent paint.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2020 at 7:48 AM, BobP said:

I only use silver aluminum adhesive foil, specifically Venture tape hvac foil.  I think it’s manufactured in Europe and comes in various thicknesses.  I got it on EBay, where I bought the thinnest available.  Venture used to sell Brite-Bak adhesive foil for stained glass art which was very thin and perfect for crankbaits.  I think it was discontinued but the thinner Venture hvac foils are also very good, much better than the thick hvac foil tapes I’ve seen in home centers.  Other guys use or have tried a wide variety of foils including colored art foils, silver and gold leaf, heat applied foil, etc. but hvac has been the simplest and cheapest solution for me.  When I want color, I spray it lightly with transparent paint.

that tape from home depot is not noob friendly! LOL I think I painted the ugliest craw you seen! Thanks for mentioning this...ill look for that stuff.

• Like 1

I use nail art foil and apply it under pressure with thin epoxy. This foil is available online in 120 meter lengths in a variety of colors. The plastic film is very thin. It conforms well to scale detail. The film backing is then removed, leaving a very thin reflective surface. I have a tutorial on this site. It is a good place to start. With nail art foil, you do not have to use the heat gun and vacuum as shown there. 

As for painting, foil is a slick surface. I apply one or 2 coats of Createx Transparent base before I apply colors. The T base is creamy white, but heat sets perfectly clear. You have a hard time messing up your paint job this way. It can be done, but you really have to work at it to "chip off" any color.

• Like 1

Man, absolutely coat the foil with clear coat or one of the spray coatings such as transparent base or 4030 balancing clear. That’s what it’s for and thinner than epoxy. 
I prefer epoxy to cover the foil edges, then paint. Good results.

trying to spray transparent colors onto raw foil...not me. I’m not careful enough.

• Like 1