GruntHead

lathe buying questions

I have lurked for months learning about as much as I can on this great site,so I'm ready for the next step.Which lathe to buy?Sears has one for 399.00,it's a Craftsman 15-inch variable speed lathe.It's a 2 hp.They have the duplicater for another150.00 or so.Is this a quality lathe or can someone recomend something else better for the money?Also what tools do I need?

Hey Grunt, I too own a craftsman lathe for many many years and have not had any problems. One of the biggest things is some people go out and buy a complete set of turning tools and basically you only use one or two. I have a eight piece set of turning tools that I hardly ever use. For poppers and other baits I use a tool that I made from an old flat file that I ground down. Once you play around with a lathe its like everything else, it just takes practice and of course caution. Always make sure to keep your tool support as close to the work as possible. As the piece gets smaller when turning, always move the support and keep it as close as possible to the work piece to avoid the tool breaking off or getting caught in the work piece. Good luck and you will enjoy the lathe. Ken Schmitz

I bought a used GRIZZLY mini lathe for $50. Cost me $40 more for missing parts and now that I have one I know what to shop for next time. Just wanted to say > I was shocked that grizzly products like a lathe > used plastic parts. The prior person mod. this unit and made the parts of wood and replaced them . its a great lathe and better than the original(built tough).Matter of fact . I bought my stock and tapper parts from sears craftsman store. Good quality parts.The others came from grizzly 's subcontractor parts in Wa. State.

Jonnnytheboy! The problem with that set-up is> It better be a top of the line drill for one! Drills were not intended to take that kind of long term punishment. It can't replace the smooth running lathe thow it is a cheap way out. RPM are diffrent and so is the motion in all. Drills are better for drilling and lathes are better at turning. I almost did that! but bought a used one just to test the air and I'm glad I did get the lathe. If you ever turn a block of hard wood > your going to shorten the life of a drill chuck quick.

I would recommend a JET Mini-Lathe. I bought mine on e-bay for $200 (new, but in a damaged box) Its a great set up. What I like most about it is that it is a mini lathe for lure making so you can just put on your work bench, but you can buy an extemtion to it and turn a table leg on it. As one of the previous posters said, get the best one you can afford.

Good Luck.

Volp1

I felt the same way about buying a new lathe and so I shoped the adds till I found one and it took some time finding one for $50 or less. Someone is always gettin rid of a power tool someplace in the area > the condition of the tool is what gets me. Never know how it was treated befor they desided to get rid off it. At times I wonder why I bought something that I don't use enough, nice to have for rainy days. Its ART I think> you create shapes. Good luck with the drill lathe!