TootsMalone

New Member & Rookie Baitmaker

Hey TU! New to making my own baits but have been reading on the forum for a few months now. 

my first bait was a 2 piece baby bass which did not get enough ballast to sink at all but with the right technique walks really well. Learned from that one to test designs before painting and clearing. 

second bait was a 2 piece mullet glider. Added much more weight to this one so it sinks and got lucky that it swam fairly well. Put a paintbrush tail on it with silver leaf sides and details painted on the head before clearing. 

3rd was a 2 piece Black crappie that i liked enough to try molding it with silicone and pouring resin copies. Have had some decent success with this one, only 3 tries to get a workable resin copy and have made a few extras for other people. 

my most recent is a 4 piece bass that will also get molded if the wooden swim tests workout well. Finishing up the details after the thanksgiving holiday. 

Really just wanted to thank everyone here for the amount of knowledge you all have accumulated here. This place is truly amazing. Happy thanks giving everyone!!!! 

F24333F2-5FD3-4255-98F6-A3EB5F514020.jpeg

61A903D5-731A-42B7-9AEF-2C54B831AEBD.jpeg

174BCD29-0671-474C-B020-820D81EFD296.jpeg

32DC05BF-0B23-4010-8A92-E92F2FDE3CE1.jpeg

DB17815F-CB17-4F89-B7F3-94C680761DE8.jpeg

96DAD065-A961-44E6-9ED3-4778D5445A10.jpeg

Your carving and art work are top shelf, and if you are catching fish then ignore my advice.

Personally, I would stick to one bait and learn as much as possible before moving on. But you seem to be well on top of things, so it is just a mild suggestion.

Glad you learned the painting thing, investing time before proving a bait is a very painful lesson :)

Great work, keep it up.

Dave

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

Your carving and art work are top shelf, and if you are catching fish then ignore my advice.

Personally, I would stick to one bait and learn as much as possible before moving on. But you seem to be well on top of things, so it is just a mild suggestion.

Glad you learned the painting thing, investing time before proving a bait is a very painful lesson :)

Great work, keep it up.

Dave

Thanks Dave! i’ve read so many of your posts on here and stoked you replied to my thread. 

i moved on from my first bait since it got cleared and finished before i tested it. Did manage to catch a fish on it my first time out on the first cast even. But the action is not what i was hoping for. 

The mullet was made for inshore fishing here in Jacksonville. The crappie and mullet were made around the same time honestly. Spent a lot more time fishing the crappie than the mullet. Have gotten a ton of big bass follow the crappie but no takers yet. 

i appreciate the kind words man. And thank you for all of the info you have shared on here. :yay:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fishordie79 said:

Well man I would imagine so. I mean by the looks of it you only had to carve about 3000 scales:) Great work! I have yet to make a jointed bait but it is on the horizon:)

Thanks! The worst part was as soon as i cut the fins off i didnt like the profile at all.  so out came the knife and had to carve and sand off almost all of the scales on the back and re-carve them. So happy the scales are finished.
Dive right into a jointed bait man. Its so satisfying once you get it swimming right  

4 hours ago, fishordie79 said:

Nice man I found some poplar boards online that I am gonna buy. Linden is great for carving. Requires quite a bit of weight however but using it for masters is awesome. I've done a couple of basswood builds as well and it also carves very nicely. 

Nice! I just got some basswood tonight for when I'm done with this project. 

3 hours ago, eastman03 said:

Basswood is Linden is it not?   

Very nice carving by the way! 

I believe you are right. According to wikipedia linden is the european version and basswood is the american version. Thanks! Im still learning the craft. 

1 hour ago, Saugerman said:

Great work Toots Malone. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks man! 

• Like 1