ArcticAL

Seeking ideas or recipe's for a super durable plastic

New guy here hoping to learn something from you way more experienced guys.  I'm trying to make a super durable soft plastic bait.

I need a 12 inch salt water bait (like a giant senko) that can withstand an attack by a hungry school of sharks.  Well, as close as possible.

Still need it to slide on a jig head hook, and still need the tail to have some action.   I'm looking for a tough durable flexible plastic that I can inject into a mold. I don't know much about soft plastics at all but I'm trying to find a solution. I'm learning a lot from this forum! I just can't seem to find a discussion on the topic. Any chance you guys would share some of your knowledge and steer me in the right direction on how to achieve the toughest plastic possible??

Thanks for your insight,

Al

Edited by ArcticAL

Some saltwter "soft" baits are not in plastic, but in TPE/TPR or silicone. Due the fact TPE/TPR are not so easy to find/use for the DIY Makers, a good alternative could be the silicone: it is really easy to pour/inject the acetoxic silicone added up with some water drops and, if you wish, some drops of a liquid color: water helps silicone to be softer. To obtain a lithe movement the silicone soft bait needs some ribs long the body. It is better to include the hook inside the molded bait.

Bye

Cami

Call lureworks. they have and sell the hardest plastisol you can buy, You can not inject it, you will have to use other means, But it is very doable. Just plan for it to be an expensive hobby.... This type of plastisol is way more durable then silicone.

Edited by Baitjunkys
  • Like 1

Thank you for the insight.

I am in experimentation phase now.  Mocked up a POP pour mold and poured acetoxy silicone thinned with odorless mineral spirits.

so far, the cured silicone seems pretty tough and has the flex i'm looking for. That's a positive.  The negatives are that the silicone takes 48 hours to cure and the silicone (DAP from the hardware store) is not very cheap.

I am ordering the hard plastisol from LureWorks and will give that a try next.

Is there a way to get silicone to cure faster? And will plastisol colorants work in silicone?

Thanks,

AL

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, Baitjunkys said:

Call lureworks. they have and sell the hardest plastisol you can buy, You can not inject it, you will have to use other means, But it is very doable. Just plan for it to be an expensive hobby.... This type of plastisol is way more durable then silicone.

Leonard, what it the firmest plastisol that can still be injected?