fishordie79

Molding and Casting - Getting Started

Hey there TU Brothers and Sisters!

I am sure that many of you have experienced this as well but I got into bait making because I wanted to see if I could do it and because I wanted to make and fish lures that I thought would work best without being restrained to what I saw on store shelves or online. All was fine and well until my friends and family, and their friends and family......began asking me to make baits for them. I am quickly realizing that doing these one by one, each carved from some type of wood, weighted, painted, etc., is not very conducive to having much spare time for anything else. 

So, my question: In you awesome folk's experience/opinion, what is my one stop (or multiple stop:)  shop for everything I will need to get started making molds, pouring copies of the masters, weighting the copies, etc.? Is there anything that you all have run into while making molds that was a necessity/game changer that you would say is an absolute must have in making molds?

As always thanks to you all! 

I tended to order from Smooth on or US composites.   Most of my bait making was done with RTV silicone molds (Mold Max 30 from Smooth On) and then 16 lb density polyurethane foam (US Composites).   Never had any issues with either company, shipping was quick, customer service solid, and product was always good.

Alumilite is popular with many.   Larry D. is overall a negative component for me.  He turns me off on the product as the few videos of him I watched he depicts a lot I find wrong with lure making... the slap it together,  "good enough" mentality.   I have used their products and would again however just don't seek them out.

Edited by Travis
  • Like 2

I guess I have a different perspective on Larry Dahlberg.  I like his videos because he makes it look easy, and doesn't demand perfection.  Lure making, for me, is about making something to catch fish first and foremost.  I'll never be the artist that a lot people here are, but I don't let that worry me.  And sharing whatever "secrets" I've learned, mostly from folks here, is just paying it back.

People who want to take lure making to another level are great, too.  I love seeing what they can do when they share.  It's just not me.

• Like 1