fishordie79

How to Make Holographic 3D Eyes

Hi Everyone, 

I hope the document I put together is easy enough to follow although I do understand that skill levels vary and that some of you folks may not be as Photoshop savvy as others. Also, I may not have been as clear in some area as I had intended to be. If you find this tutorial difficult to follow just let me know and I will make a video version. Thank you so much to everyone who has helped me grow in this amazing hobby. You guys are awesome:) If there are any questions please let me know!

Link to the .psd file you will need: https://drive.google.com/open?id=15WMSmltSliQVRzxCJLxdak0hd96245rW

How to Make 3d Holographic Fish Eyes.pdf

75453423_10157932466593552_5914600859185971200_o.jpg

Edited by fishordie79
  • Like 2

Hey @eastman03 Awesome! Glad it helped you and the eyes look great man! After months of work I finally have built a new workshop and have gotten it stocked up. Just ordered some resin, microballoons, silicone, etc., and am looking forward to going into full production mode. I was thinking about modifying the Photoshop template to add layers for 15 and 20mm eyes so if you need the updated one I'll gladly get it to you. 

• Like 1

Yea I'd take all the help I can get.  I don't own photoshop, and I wasn't sure I wanted to buy it, so I used an open source program called GIMP.  It is similar, it allows me to play with layers and most of the same things as photoshop.  That was probably the most difficult thing in this process lol. I've never used any program quite like this.  I also see how much of the background comes through despite the eyes printing red.  I'll have to play around with it, it is a fun challenge!  

I just received a leather punch set that I ordered, so I will be able to start punching out some eyes and getting them finished.   I'm also kinda waiting for it to get cold enough to fire up my wood boiler so I can heat the shop.  We are starting to get winter here in Manitoba, so that means less fishing and more lure making. 

Edited by eastman03

I hear you man a Photoshop license is expensive albeit far less expensive these days now that it is subscription based. I've used GIMP in the past and it is a powerful program. Any way I can help you man just let me know. Also, I recently watched the 36 Hours series on YT. Man that was one of the best fishing shows I've ever seen. Loved it! I have two bucket list trips: one to South America for Peacock Bass and another to Canada for pike, walleye, sturgeon, etc. You guys have so many awesome species there you must be in heaven:)

• Like 1

This really works well! Thanks again.  The eyes pop like crazy once you get epoxy on them.  Here are a few from my first batch.  I need to sharpen up the cheap leather punch I got for this as it kinda was tearing it off.   I think I need a harder backing material to punch the eyes out cleanly.  More experimenting will happen yet.  

IMG_2547.JPG

• Like 1

Hey @eastman03 I forgot to mention. I simplified my process by eliminating the need for the wooden block. screws, and glue stick. I basically just built a shallow frame out of Legos, maybe 25cm X 25cm, and poured a thin layer of silicone into it, maybe a half a centimeter thick. Now instead of gluing the eyes to the screws I just lay them out onto the silicone and then drop the epoxy directly onto them. Any epoxy you get onto the silicone just pops right off after its dry. Also, as long as you have the silicone on a flat surface the eyes will always dry flat and not to one side or the other if you screw isn't perfectly straight. 

Oh, and you can also use the waterslide paper to make little decals with your initials or logo on them which you can then stick to the underside of the bait before the epoxy process:)

Edited by fishordie79
  • Like 1

Yea the application of the waterslide paper really opens the door to all kinds of things!   

Interesting idea with the silicone layer.  So the eye sitting on the silicone has enough surface tension on its own I guess to make a little bubble, just like on the screw.  Do you ever have issues with extra epoxy kinda forming a strange shaped eye, because it cant kinda fall off like if it were on the screw?   

Anyway, for the few eyes I'm making for myself at the moment, this will do just fine!  Thanks again, just adds another level of customization. 

@eastman03 What I do is to use the "Stroke" function in Photoshop, not sure what it is called in Gimp, to make a thick black outline around the eye. This does two things: 1. It gives the eye a cool "shading" effect, and 2. it gives you something to align the leather punch with. The thicker you make the stroke the more forgiving it is when punching them out. .

My leather punch has a slot or chamber I guess you could call it that allows me to look down into it when placing over the eye. It still takes a bit of practice to get a good alignment but after you've done a few alignment gets easier. 

• Like 1