Tenacfan

Air Brush Opinions

I personally use a Badger 150 ( I have 5 of them) I havent used the ones you mentioned. But I do reccommend my Badger 150's. I can get the parts like the head and needles at ANY craft store in my area. So for that part it makes it very easy. If my brushes go down... its for only a very short time, like a drive to the craft store. I have never been in a jam, but its good to know that I can get the 150 parts anywhere. The Anthem will do the same thing as the 150, it just is a "Little Different". Personally if you are asking about those brushes, you are not in line with a Paashe VL like most of the posters here. You have to answer that question as to why. But I would talk you into either the Paashe VL or the 150! Both are good sturdy quality brushes that will handle your needs AND are easy to learn from. Thats my .02 cents worth! Cody

Tenacfan, an Iwata is a top of the Line Brush. Most of the Commercial artists are or were using the Iwata. Before they switched to using Photoshop. ( Boy thats showing my age! :D ) Anyway 2 of my Badger Setups including a Fine Head, Medium Head, Large Head and Needles times 2 are still way under the price of one Iwata. My Badgers do Just fine thank you much. I almost switched to the Paasche VL's last year when they were on Sale at Dixie Art for $69.00. I changed my mind and spent that money on new Tackle and Curado's for my Baitcasters. Money better spent, why change something that I started on and have been using for quite sometime and suits me well. Again did I mention how easy it is to get replacement parts?? So I dont reccommend the Iwata due to its price... for what??? The two brushes mentioned will do you good! On EBay I wouldnt spend more than $30.00 to $40.00 for a Badger 150. A Paasche VL, I wouldnt spend more than $40.00 to $50.00! Stick with them! Cody

Well last time i posted about my brush i stated that i used a Paashe, but had a Iwata. Well i have since switched over to my Iwata and wont use my paashe again for lures. There is no comparison. My best advice is that you should get the best that you can afford. The Iwata I have is an HP-C. I had it from before when i used to do Auto Murals, but it wasn't performing the way i wanted with the water based paints. The other day i was trying it again and used it a while, all of a sudden it started working perfectly. I have heard all my airbrush career don't go back and forth from Water based paints to Urethanes/enamels in your brushes. Well i guess it had some residue from the urethanes and it finally worked its way out of the tip because now it is performing great with the waterbased paints.

I use a Badger 150 as well. The current one I use is my second unit. The first unit was defective & was replaced by Badger, no questions asked, had a new unit on my steps in a few days...good customer service which is always a perk. In terms of using the 150 it paints very well, is easy to clean and to use. I have no complaints other than I go through heads like a mad man :twisted: But like Bassnator said, a 10 minute trip to the local store and I have all the replacement parts I need.

Hey Cullin what is it that you like better about the Iwata? Just curious. Thx.

jed

1. its a gravity feed which means i use less paint

2. gravity feed is also easier to clean.

3. it has much better control than my other gun and i can paint finer lines

Probably some more but thats off the top of my head.

Hey Jed,

Never fill the bottle more than half full and that will not happen any more.

Thats why I was pushing the HS model on you, it allow the bottle to rotate if you like.

If you think that spills try the color cup so you will become gravity feed.

Can not blame the gun for the clogging, thats the paint mixer.

I started cleaning my Paasche H more frequently to avoid the clogging and I ended up dropping the little screw that holds the needle in place. :censored: What dumb design, I will never find that little booger!

I can get a new screw online but the shipping is a killer. I bought a cheapy airbrush at Harbour Freight for $4.99 for the meantime. It is working fine for me, easy to clean and light weight. It sprays almost as well as my Paasche with the #3 needle, BUT IT DOESN'T CLOG ALL THE TIME. I don't see my self investing in another Paasche.

Mallard,

Take the brush to the local good hardware store.

They can sell you allen set screws for it.

Buy a bunch they are like $.07 each here.

I have never lost one but every time I let some one else touch it guess what they lose the set screw.

And a large magnet on a stick will help you find the new ones they are steel.

Jed, You hit the Nail on the Head when you said single action! You will find that at first a Double action is hard to use at first, but you will have far fewer issues with a Dual Action Brush. Trust me on that. The probs you mentioned with a Single Action are apparrent in the design and make up of it. But at least you know what you can do to combat it to get it to work good to get the job done! Cody