abf

Tell me what to buy

look at:

angling ai, baitjunkys, fat guys fishing, bass tackle, enforcer, bts molds, do-it, all make good molds, some better than others but they all work great. I PERSONALLY stay away from the do-is essentials series (im sure if you look around you will see the pros and cons of these molds) 

Buy baits that you will fish.  If you intend to make them to sell, buy as few types as possible, with as many molds/cavities of those few types as you can.  Making 300 creaturebaits when you've got a 2 cavity mold isn't going to cut it.  You're going to want to be able to shoot a dozen to twenty or more at a time.

• Like 2

I personally don't have any problem whatsoever with the essential series molds. Color recipies  can be adjusted for  artificial stone molds so no doubt they  be on sandcast molds too. You guys steer everybody away  from these molds when infact they're a great option for somebody wanting in as cheap as possible or just experimenting to see if they want to go all in.Personally i think nice & shiny is good, but absolutely not necessary & it's not like the baits these molds produce are all  that dull either. Of course it's everybodys own choice on what they purchase.

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

my complaint with the essentials series has nothing to do with the finish of the baits, at least the 2 I have simply don't shoot as well as any of the cnc molds I have. the 3" cnc ripper (single cavity which im not a fan of either!) is damn near impossible to get dents in, temp doesn't effect it too much,. shoot it slow, shoot it fast it comes out perfect. the es 3" ripper, I have played with that mold a ton, very tough for me to get a dent free run out of that mold.

• Like 1

Yeah It’s not a terrible mold, I have since moved on to the fat guys fishing rip Shad and slim rip (both 3”) in top inject and am way happier than the es ripper. To each their own, I mostly do laminates in swimbaits (first the angling Ai hammer and little hammer, now added the rip shads) so the ripper isn’t in play any more!

• Like 1

Don't try to buy molds or injectors from overseas.  Buy from USA companies only.  If you're going to buy an injector, buy a basstackle.com injector.  Which brings up another topic, don't go cheap on your molds and injectors.  They're like tools, buy a quality one the first time and you won't have to buy it again in the future.  You don't want to buy a mold and have to modify it yourself.  If you buy a mold and it doesn't shoot right, ask for a refund or replacement.  Trying to modify molds yourself will probably lead to frustration (unless you have a lot of experience) and then you'll probably quit the hobby.  Companies like Bait Plastics and Basstackle.com have been good to me.  

• Like 1

If you are just making baits for yourself, basstackle.com has some very affordable single cavity CNC molds that will get you started. Thats how I started out, bought a few single shot molds for there and started injecting. They are great for personal use, but would take you forever if you were trying to fill orders.

I also suggest only buying molds you are gonna use. Get 2 or 3 molds of the soft plastics you use the most. Get a handful of colors and glitter that you use the most. Keep it simple in the beginning, there is plenty of time to go over the top with molds, colorant, and glitter once you decide if this hobby is for you or not. 

• Like 1