fishordie79

Turning Failure Into Success

Hey TU Folks!
 So I have been asking and you guys have been responding with the best way to weight a big glide bait. After several tries I just couldn't seem to get the action right. I didn't know if it was the wood, the shape of the body, too much weight, the placement of the weight, etc., and I started getting a bit frustrated. So I decided to back off of trying to get that glide bait right for a bit and work on carving details. I cut out a 4 1/2 inch jerk bait, drew some detail and scale patterns on it, and began carving. After carving for a bit I wasn't completely disappointed with the results but I wasn't completely satisfied either. I put the bait down and decided to take a break from the hobby for a few days.

When I came back to the bait a few days later I thought about scrapping it altogether. The carving looked bad and I just thought I would start over. I threw it in a box and started working on other projects. A couple of weeks later, after having gotten much better at carving, I pull the bait out of the box and give it a look over. I figured I might be able to at least make it look decent enough to paint, epoxy, and give to my son as a toy. So, I began carving on it again. After a while it started to look passable as a lure and I decided to weight it and see how the action was. So, after suggestions from many of you, I tried something different and weighted it very near to the pivot point and CoB of the lure. 

Yesterday I took the lure out and gave it a go. I dropped it into the water at my feet and tested the action. "No way." I thought. Tested again. "Holy crap I got it right!" First cast........fish!

The lesson I learned from this: Each failure is a success. With every mistake I have made in this awesome hobby I have learned some very important lesson that has helped me in subsequent builds. 

Thanks to persistence and your suggestion I now have a working glide bait body that I can replicate. 

Thanks to all!

76767536_10157995962198552_1448496627022036992_n.jpg

79985589_10157995962703552_1997956070986743808_n.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mark poulson said:

Nice!  I think you're right.  We learn as much, if not more, from our failures.  Of course, if failures are any indication of how much we learn, I'm working on my Masters degree!  Hahaha

:yay:     Associates here, still new at this! 

Edited by KennyP
  • Like 1