JawjaBoy

Belt/Disc Sander Questions

I'm looking to add a belt/disc sander to my shop and was wondering what models everyone was using.  What pros/cons?  Not looking for a professional model or to spend a small fortune.  I'm just wanting a benchtop model for shaping and some finishing, and maybe odd jobs on my RC cars.  Not really concerned about brand. 

Thanks in advance y'all!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JawjaBoy said:

I'm looking to add a belt/disc sander to my shop and was wondering what models everyone was using.  What pros/cons?  Not looking for a professional model or to spend a small fortune.  I'm just wanting a benchtop model for shaping and some finishing, and maybe odd jobs on my RC cars.  Not really concerned about brand. 

Thanks in advance y'all!

try harbor freight store!

• Like 1

I use a car polisher fitted with a rubber disk and stick-on sandpaper to size the width of lure blanks and do initial tapering.  Not as steady as a bench sander but I can do the sanding outside the garage and avoid getting the dust everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ Fisher said:

Took me a few minutes to figure out how to change the belt out, but now it's easy. I don't use the disc much...  it's pretty stable, if you lean on it hard when sanding it can move around some... I have to push start mine as well sometimes..

Thanks for the info!  That's one of the few complaints I had heard was that the belt was difficult to change.  As for the starting, it may need a new starting capacitor or need one added.  Not a huge concern as I'm a maintenance tech and deal with that regularly at work. 

• Like 1

I have used this oscillating belt sander from Home Depot for 20 years, and it's still running strong.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Oscillating-Edge-Belt-Spindle-Sander-EB4424/100061671

I do my rough shaping/sanding with a 60 grit belt, and move to 80 for finer shaping.  I finish with a vibrating palm sander with 100 or 120 grit.

It is strong, fast, and reliable, and the belt doesn't get clogged as quickly because it oscillates (moved up and down) as it sands.  A quick blast from my air hose cleans any clogs that do happen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I have used this oscillating belt sander from Home Depot for 20 years, and it's still running strong.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Oscillating-Edge-Belt-Spindle-Sander-EB4424/100061671

I do my rough shaping/sanding with a 60 grit belt, and move to 80 for finer shaping.  I finish with a vibrating palm sander with 100 or 120 grit.

It is strong, fast, and reliable, and the belt doesn't get clogged as quickly because it oscillates (moved up and down) as it sands.  A quick blast from my air hose cleans any clogs that do happen.

That's nice!  Hadn't thought about an oscillating belt, and it's a but more than I'd planned to spend, but I might have to look into it.  Thank you!

I found this sander at our local Menards Store and also the jig saw of the same brand.  I have been using both of these tools for over 1-year without problems.  Good luck and welcome to Lure Building and the best Lure Building website on the planet.  There are answers to all your questions here.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/power-tools/sanders/performax-reg-4-3-amp-corded-4x36-belt-disc-sander/rk7866/p-1490250196076-c-10088.htm

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/power-tools/power-saws/band-saws/performax-reg-9-band-saw/bs900pm/p-1444443006811-c-1537277164161.htm

Note, these are not professional quality type machines, but certainly do the job I am looking for.  I use the band saw to cut out the rough shapes,  crank bait lips from lexan and even to cut thru 2x4 size lumber.  The belt sander is actually a combination belt/disc sander and works very well for shaping the wood.  I have been using cedar for my lures so far with great success.  Good luck to you!

Chonch12 is absolutely correct, the jig saw that I have came from a local source, the guy couldn't get it to work.  I paid $25 for it, complete with 2 extra blades worth that much alone.  All that was wrong was the wiring from the on/off switch behind the faceplate had disconnected.  It took 5 minutes to fix and I've been using it ever since.  I found it on Craigslist.

• Like 1