Hillbilly voodoo

Making lips

So been cutting all my lips with a bandsaw and touching up with a belt sander. Sometimes mistakes happen and unfortunately those mistakes make it to finished baits at times. The price of not paying attention I know but still make me mad even though it’s my own fault 

Has anyone tried making their own punch for 1/8 lexan? 

or have a good method to make clean duplicate lips?

Buying pre made lips are not an option.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:21 AM, Hillbilly voodoo said:

So been cutting all my lips with a bandsaw and touching up with a belt sander. Sometimes mistakes happen and unfortunately those mistakes make it to finished baits at times. The price of not paying attention I know but still make me mad even though it’s my own fault 

Has anyone tried making their own punch for 1/8 lexan? 

or have a good method to make clean duplicate lips?

Buying pre made lips are not an option.

why cant you use pre made lips? Is it b/c of the bait style? 

11 hours ago, jcromerangler said:

why cant you use pre made lips? Is it b/c of the bait style? 

For at least 50% if not more of my designs I can’t find pre made lips without impacting the action of the lure. Then add the fact I am in Canada with limited options for pre made lips and in is not cost effective to get them from the US.

I also get my lexan for basically free outside of the odd lure/gift I give as a thank you 

I am thinking I will make or have made metal templates I can clamp a rough cut piece of lexan between so I can work it without worry

3 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

For at least 50% if not more of my designs I can’t find pre made lips without impacting the action of the lure. Then add the fact I am in Canada with limited options for pre made lips and in is not cost effective to get them from the US.

I also get my lexan for basically free outside of the odd lure/gift I give as a thank you 

I am thinking I will make or have made metal templates I can clamp a rough cut piece of lexan between so I can work it without worry

Years ago someone here posted a video of himself using a wooden template, with double stick tape to act as a guide for a router with a self-guiding bearing on the bit, to shape his lips.  I am sorry I can't remember his name.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Years ago someone here posted a video of himself using a wooden template, with double stick tape to act as a guide for a router with a self-guiding bearing on the bit, to shape his lips.  I am sorry I can't remember his name.

I found it and honestly just thinking of modifying the idea so it’s more durable and protects the lexan more in the process 

definitely a good idea just got me thinking beyond it is all