Hillbilly voodoo

KBS VS teeth

How well does KBS hold up against pike?

Been working on some smaller baits for walleye and trout but around here pike are almost always around. Would be nice to use a dip style bait instead of etex on these smaller baits but still want them to take the abuse of random pike. Resin style baits so not worried about protecting wood 

simply how tough is KBS?

Most answers to this will be guesstimates, but I think MCU is stronger than epoxy if you compare equal coating thicknesses.  The problem is epoxy is typically applied in a thicker coating than MCU.  I build a crankbait used for trolling for lake stripers.  Devcon lasts longer on them than a single coat of Dick Nite MCU because it is much thicker and takes longer for trebles to wear through to the underlying wood.  But I’m confident that an equally thick (multiple) coat of MCU would be tougher and last longer.  I just don’t want the hassle of multiple MCU coats.  You pay your money and take your chances.  If durability and dipping (I.e., ease and speed) are more important than cost, you might consider a uv cured polyester like Alumi-UV.  It is thick, very tough, and ready to fish in a few minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bob do to my location availability and shipping is often a factor so options are often limited because of it. Etex I can find anywhere and just found a reasonable source for KBS

To give you an idea when I order my Alumilite resin it takes 5 weeks unless I want to get nailed with $100 shipping  or pay $200 more from another supplier 

I will stick with etex for my big baits geared for pike but sounds like KBS May work on my walleye/small trout baits

4 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

I use KBS on bass lures and it can get pretty rashed up with a few of the right fish...so when it comes to toothy critters I'd say the durability definitely isn't the best. I'd stick with epoxy if you want your paint jobs to last!

You must be only dipping 1 coat or spraying light coats... KBS is far more durable when compared to similar thickness... 3 dipped coats works great. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 21xdc said:

You must be only dipping 1 coat or spraying light coats... KBS is far more durable when compared to similar thickness... 3 dipped coats works great. 

True, I spray three coats of KBS. It would make sense that dipped coats would be stronger. Also I'm using it on big jointed swimbaits that get considerably more wear and tear than small trout plugs.

1 hour ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

How may coats do you use?

1 hour ago, danthefisherman said:

True, I spray three coats of KBS. It would make sense that dipped coats would be stronger. Also I'm using it on big jointed swimbaits that get considerably more wear and tear than small trout plugs.

Don’t think little trout think 3-10+lbs browns, bull trout, and walleye. These baits are 3-1/2-6 inch that will also see a lot of river fishing.

They won’t see the same abuse as my big pike and lake trout baits but will see more abuse on average then bass baits

• Like 1