Hephaestus

Best Injector Size to Start

Hey Folks,

I'm starting to acquire some of the tools that I need to start pouring plastics, currently I have my pyrex cups, infrared thermometer, gloves, measuring spoons, and microwave. I think I'd like to get into doing injection molds and I've wondered what folks thought a good size injector is to start doing injection molds? I see a lot of videos with folks with 6oz or higher, but I also see them shooting multiple molds which may not be feasible to start with.

I purchased glitter as well, next month is two gallons of plastic and all of my colorant, so I still have time to make a decision on molds (hand pour seems fun too and easier to get into money-wise). What do we think about hand pour vs injection molding to start? I would imagine it's preference but I'd love to hear other people's experience.

Thanks!

Heph

Each mold is different, and how each person pours is different, so this is just what I do, as a hobby pourer.

I use the 6 oz injector.  I have a smaller one, but it doesn't hold enough plastic, and I've found that the 6 oz will fill two Do-It ES ripper, 5" senko, or 3" grub molds, before the plastic gets too cool to inject.  Sometimes one cavity won't fill all the way.

I also know I can fill either three 7" senko cavities, or five 6" senko cavities, or six creature bait cavities.  Those are home made POP molds.

I know there are folks here who have figured out how to heat their injectors so the plastic doesn't cool as quickly, but I haven't.

I have hand pour molds from Lurecraft, and I use them, too.

I would say the 6 oz injector is a good starter.  If you eventually find you need a bigger one, you can always get another 6 oz and the brackets and blending block that is used to do laminates.  There is no rule against filling both injectors with the same color, so you wind up with a 12 oz capacity, plus you can make some really cool laminates, if you want.

• Like 1

Thanks for your insight. I think that may be the route I go. I'm interested in whether or not hand pouring may be a good route to start with given molds are typically cheaper, and there's no need for an injector.

I also think it may give me some experience around pouring plastic and getting used to it all.

• Like 1