Cisco_9_9

What material do you use for swim bait tail fins

Hey, 

not sure if there is already a discussion going about this but I’ve been having trouble finding a good material for tail fins. I’ve tried silicone, soft plastic, and paint brush bristles but haven’t had the outcome I’ve wanted. If you have any information on what to use please let me know

I use fins cut from silicone place-mats. Many colors available, give a nice sway on the retrieve, fold down when bit, durable, easy to make. The 'transparent' ones are a see-through cloudy whitish-gray color that will go with most baits. 

Sometimes I use fins cut from a flexible plastic container (milk jug, water gallon, margarine bucket) or plastic notebook cover.  

There are a couple of threads on it but I could only find one.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/34563-soft-tails-for-swimbait/?tab=comments#comment-284529

On 1/9/2020 at 6:47 AM, Cisco_9_9 said:

I’ve tried silicone, soft plastic, and paint brush bristles but haven’t had the outcome I’ve wanted. If you have any information on what to use please let me know

What exactly are you looking for in the material? If you're looking to pour your own Gan Craft tails maybe look into urethane rubber. Smooth-On and Alumilite both make a decent product

23 hours ago, JD_mudbug said:

I use fins cut from silicone place-mats. Many colors available, give a nice sway on the retrieve, fold down when bit, durable, easy to make. The 'transparent' ones are a see-through cloudy whitish-gray color that will go with most baits. 

Sometimes I use fins cut from a flexible plastic container (milk jug, water gallon, margarine bucket) or plastic notebook cover.  

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/34563-soft-tails-for-swimbait/?tab=comments#comment-284529

Thank you! I’m gonna try the silicone place mats that will probably be exactly what I’m looking for. Want it to look good but still add a little bit of action as well

9 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

What exactly are you looking for in the material? If you're looking to pour your own Gan Craft tails maybe look into urethane rubber. Smooth-On and Alumilite both make a decent product

I’m looking for something that adds a good detail feature but is soft enough that if it gets bit it won’t stop the fish from raching the hooks or fall out. I tried some smooth on but it came out after 20 cast (probably because I didn’t connect it very well) but it also was beginning to tear before that. Thank you for the response I’ll definitely look into the allumilite products as well

• Like 1

I don't think what the tail's made from has much influence on hooking a fish, or keeping it hooked.

I've used tails from clear margarine tubs for years, sanded to add fin lines and colored with sharpies, and they don't seem to hinder the fish getting the bait.  Most fish attack from the bottom or side, and a fish that's big enough to eat a bait from the rear will be big enough to swallow the tail whole.

I do think the idea of a colored silicone place mat tail is interesting.  I will be checking this out.

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 6:00 PM, JD_mudbug said:

I'm really interested in using these mats for tails.  Where did you buy your silicone placemats, and what brand did you buy?

They were generic-type Chinese made.

I bought one silicone baking mat at Dollar General. It was reddish-brown. It was thick, 3/16". Its was $4 and was 18 inch x 12 inch. That has been the thickest I have found.

The rest of the mats I have I bought off random Ebay sellers, usually any where from $1.75 to $4 each.. There are alot of sellers- different sizes and colors, some have textures. Most are 1 mm thick. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-Resistant-Silicone-Kitchen-Baking-Liner-Pad-Bakeware-Non-stick-Table-Mat/232812893544?hash=item3634bad568:m:mLK9IbwZTsBIHF6HL2bVEqA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Pot-Holders-Non-Slip-Square-Mats-Trivet-Heat-Resistant-Select-Color/291672376880?hash=item43e9074630:m:mbbusx7R-1k9n2zjX8hF1bQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rectangle-Heat-Resistant-Mat-Silicone-Non-slip-Trivet-Pot-Pan-Holder-Pad-Kitchen/143452095807?hash=item216669453f:m:mIxHvPRINFEDpph1265Kbww

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Baking-Liner-Oven-Heat-Insulation-Pad-Bakeware-Non-stick-Pad-Table-Mat/253670401246?hash=item3b0fef24de:m:maJ3gBnPkR2oH6hWNQPU3Nw

I have not tried any of the textured mats.

I have been using the regular smooth mats (1 mm thick) for a few years. I haven't lost a fin yet. Even if I did, each mat will make a few dozen fins. I have one bait with maybe 20 fish on it and the fin is still in good shape.

If I am not lazy I will make a template of the fin shape I want out of thin wood or hard plastic. Then I can just trace around the template with a razor knife to make a nice clean edge. I may even pre-punch the 2 holes in the fin with a metal tube.

Most of the time, I just find a pen that will write on the mat, draw the fin and cut it out with scissors. It helps to keep the mat deep into the scissors. The ink wipes off with a paper towel. Then I just push the brads through the fin and use a razor knife to center the fin in the notch to make sure the brads went through.

I use steel brads (usually sz 18 x 3/4") to pin the fin in the tail notch in the lure body. Cut the brads to length with side cutter pliers or mini-bolt cutters. I use a tooth pick or unfolded paper clip to put a tiny drop of super glue on the head of the brad where they sit in the hole in the lure body.

Edited by JD_mudbug
typos
  • Thanks 2

When I make my baits, they are usually one-offs. I needed a way to easily make fins of different shape, sizes and colors.

It would be great I someone could figure out how to make details on those mats. Everything just wipes off them. I have thought of heating stiff wire to try to brand detail lines on them, but haven't tried it yet. 

Most of the baits I make are large baits - 6" to 12". The fins on the some these baits are close to 2" in height. I usually have a hook that overlaps the start of the tail fin, sometimes touching the slope of the bottom of the tail fin. Sometimes the bottom tip of the fin hangs below the level of tail hook. I was worried if I used a stiff material  that a fish could not close its mouth and get the hook. I probably overthought it. I am using ST-35s, ST-36s, and KVD elite triple grips in sizes 1 to 3/0. Those hooks will probably hook anything. Having a fin that folds down can't hurt.

On big baits, I find I get a lot of head shots with fish hooked on the front hook anyways. 

It's always impresses me when a 2 lb. bass attacks a 9" lure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JD_mudbug said:

They were generic-type Chinese made.

I bought one silicone baking mat at Dollar General. It was reddish-brown. It was thick, 3/16". Its was $4 and was 18 inch x 12 inch. That has been the thickest I have found.

The rest of the mats I have I bought off random Ebay sellers, usually any where from $1.75 to $4 each.. There are alot of sellers- different sizes and colors, some have textures. Most are 1 mm thick. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-Resistant-Silicone-Kitchen-Baking-Liner-Pad-Bakeware-Non-stick-Table-Mat/232812893544?hash=item3634bad568:m:mLK9IbwZTsBIHF6HL2bVEqA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Pot-Holders-Non-Slip-Square-Mats-Trivet-Heat-Resistant-Select-Color/291672376880?hash=item43e9074630:m:mbbusx7R-1k9n2zjX8hF1bQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rectangle-Heat-Resistant-Mat-Silicone-Non-slip-Trivet-Pot-Pan-Holder-Pad-Kitchen/143452095807?hash=item216669453f:m:mIxHvPRINFEDpph1265Kbww

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Baking-Liner-Oven-Heat-Insulation-Pad-Bakeware-Non-stick-Pad-Table-Mat/253670401246?hash=item3b0fef24de:m:maJ3gBnPkR2oH6hWNQPU3Nw

I have not tried any of the textured mats.

I have been using the regular smooth mats (1 mm thick) for a few years. I haven't lost a fin yet. Even if I did, each mat will make a few dozen fins. I have one bait with maybe 20 fish on it and the fin is still in good shape.

If I am not lazy I will make a template of the fin shape I want out of thin wood or hard plastic. Then I can just trace around the template with a razor knife to make a nice clean edge. I may even pre-punch the 2 holes in the fin with a metal tube.

Most of the time, I just find a pen that will write on the mat, draw the fin and cut it out with scissors. It helps to keep the mat deep into the scissors. The ink wipes off with a paper towel. Then I just push the brads through the fin and use a razor knife to center the fin in the notch to make sure the brads went through.

I use steel brads (usually sz 18 x 3/4") to pin the fin in the tail notch in the lure body. Cut the brads to length with side cutter pliers or mini-bolt cutters. I use a tooth pick or unfolded paper clip to put a tiny drop of super glue on the head of the brad where they sit in the hole in the lure body.

Thanks.  That's really helpful.

Have you found anything that will color the mat tails, like a sharpie?

Nothing permanent.

I used a fine black Sharpie to draw detail lines on the lighter color fins. You may have to go over the same line twice to get the ink to show. Sometimes certain ball point pens can write on it. Pens seem completely random as to whether they can put ink on the mat. The ink will last maybe an hour or two of casting. It wears off quick. I have let ink dry on a fin for over a week. When I touch it, it still wipes away. Touching it with your fingers will wipe off any ink. I have tried several paints they just wipe off. 

I tried standing on a window screen over the mat to impart the grid pattern. Got no results.

I have thought heating a .040 or .051 stainless shaft wire with a plumbing torch to sear marks on it for detail lines. Haven't tried that yet. The mats have a high temp tolerance don't know if it will work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has posted on here with ideas and proven ways that have helped them. I started making lures a couple months ago and have been doing it pretty much on my own trying to find new ways of making them. I’m super stoked about this community and can’t wait to pass on some of the info you guys have given me to others in the future 

• Like 1