fishordie79

Making Masters with Polyurethane Boards

Hey TU Folks!

I ordered some medium density PU boards the other day and wanted to report my initial impression of them here. I first came across these when watching the Solar Baits guy making a European Bream master in his video "How I made the Gliding Bream" on YT. I noticed when he was carving detail the carving process was extremely smooth, with no splintering as you sometimes get with wood, and it seemed as if the material was extremely easy to shape and sand. So I decided to order some and give it a try. What I can say thus far is that this stuff is really nice for making masters. Because there is no grain you don't run into snags while carving and the material is hard while also being extremely easy to carve accurately. You really can just work around your guide lines with ease and do not have to worry about catching the blade and digging it in too far. I am really impressed thus far. The down side is that it is pretty darn expensive. The board I bought is 2 feet long X 1 foot wide x 1.5 inches thick and cost me around $75.

I am currently in the processor renovating my workshop so once I have that project complete I will get a completed master carved out of this stuff and report back to you guys and gals.  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, eastman03 said:

Very nice,  I might have to try getting a piece of that stuff.  

Hillbilly - I totally agree.  I love using cedar for lures, but man it is the worst to carve.

I only use cedar for prototype/masters theses days. I think the only reason I use it still is because I always have used cedar. Growing up in the North west it was an easy to come by lure wood 

what can I say it takes me a long time to adapt and change if things are working lol