Hillbilly voodoo

Surface paddler baits

28 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

For me, it was so much simpler than boiling, and easier to control.

If bending lexan becomes a habit or I fail with other methods I will definitely get another heat gun. Probably buy an new one in time anyway 

since this is an experimental first attempt it will be redneck wing it with what I have lol. Seems to be they way I learn best

I want to work on understanding the action  and see what I can figure out. After that I will refine it and my process 

Slapped together this wing and put it on the rough body with hooks for a bath tub test and it paddles :yay:. unfortunately open water is limited with -20C and colder weather so may be a while before I can do a good test

I think with a little messing around testing a few styles of wing and body shapes I will get what I am looking for. I will add in a joint for sure

27DD84A6-5AF0-46E1-8C01-2ABC128409FD.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nathan said:

Hillbilly,

if you just search the term “jitterbug” with our search feature you’ll find a lot of information gathered through the years.I do remember someone saying the angle of the bill should be around 30 degrees ..Nathan

Thanks Nathan

I will do a search to look at the information regarding the jitterbug as a reference 

The jitterbug is similar but the Australian surface paddlers are closer to the end result I am looking for. One thing I noticed was the jitterbug and Australian surface paddlers use very different angles. They also use different shape wing/cup too. The jitterbug is definitely in the same family but the Australian’s have definitely expanded into a variety of lures in this family 

I am putting together a few different styles of body using different angles and some different styles of wing. The action I am going for will hopefully be more aggressive then the jitterbug 

Yes I am probably trying to reinvent the wheel with a tweak. I have a vision in my head but knowing my luck the fish won’t agree with my vision :lolhuh:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, azsouth said:

you can use a toaster oven for bending and forming lexan/polycarbonate. do not exceed 300 deg f. you can make molds out of pop or any heat resistant material.

just my .02

Good to know even if I don’t use it on this project it could create possibilities for future projects :yay:

• Like 1

Just a little progress on the paddler project I am winning 8)

The style of lexan wing I am using the 30 degree angle used on the jitterbug is not the ticket. An angle of 45-50 degree sees a much better action could probably push 60 degree but have not tried.The wing also cannot sit as deep in the water as the cup on a jitterbug 

Overall the style of actions are similar but the construction principles are definitely different. 

• Like 1

I have had success with making my own version(s) of the infamous "Hawg Wobbler".  I caught (2) muskies during our October tournament in northern Wisconsin using the green one shown below.  All component parts are available from Lurepartsonline or Hagens Fishing components catalogs.  These have a stainless steel lip and rear prop and really terrific action on the surface.  You can tweak the lip for different movements.  Great for musky and pike. 

20191023_131325.jpg

20200110_092650.jpg

20200110_092820.jpg

14 minutes ago, kingmfg said:

Growing up saw many monster pike that came on a Heddon Crazy Crawler

I've never seen either a pike or a muskie in person, but, from what I've seen on the internet, those are some really well armed big fish with a serious anger management problem.  I am amazed that a lure could survive an attack by one of them.

59 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

I've never seen either a pike or a muskie in person, but, from what I've seen on the internet, those are some really well armed big fish with a serious anger management problem.  I am amazed that a lure could survive an attack by one of them.

I have never fished musky but pike are definitely fun. If you get a chance to fish somewhere with big pike do it

When they are on they are definitely aggressive. I watch my buddy hook and loose the same pike over a dozen casts in a row. I have seen them jump out of the water and grab a bait dangling a foot above the water. Lots of other crazy things too. But I have also watched big pike sit there and refuse everything you could throw at them 

My buddy is trying to convince me to make a muskrat size wake bait but I told him not till I finish my present projects 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

I have never fished musky but pike are definitely fun. If you get a chance to fish somewhere with big pike do it

When they are on they are definitely aggressive. I watch my buddy hook and loose the same pike over a dozen casts in a row. I have seen them jump out of the water and grab a bait dangling a foot above the water. Lots of other crazy things too. But I have also watched big pike sit there and refuse everything you could throw at them 

My buddy is trying to convince me to make a muskrat size wake bait but I told him not till I finish my present projects 

A muskrat sized bait?  You'd need a tuna pole for that size lure!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

A muskrat sized bait?  You'd need a tuna pole for that size lure!

My buddy swears by the go big or go home theory for big pike. He has the set up to do it and so do I. If I build the muskrat he will chuck it and I will probably make one for myself if I do :lolhuh:

look at the musky guys who throw 1pound baits and we start looking sane.

• Haha 1

If you look at the wide variety of style, size, color and type of Musky & Pike baits used today, some of them defy description.  Many of the rubber and plastic baits are super heavy and require stiff, long 7-9' heavy action rods, but they do work effectively.  In my humble opinion a GREAT deal of the results are hinged upon being in the right place at the right time and considerable luck coupled with knowledge of the body of water, the area and prior experience.  That's why it's called fishing I guess and not catching.  I fished our local tournament for 2-years without success and for the past 2-years have had great success.  I might go another 2-years or more without success, but I will keep trying.  In any case, fishing for Musky and Pike with top water baits has it's time and place, but when they work, they certainly are violent, head shaking experiences that will create memories lasting a lifetime.

• Like 1

I fished a very similar spot in Canada in one of the shallow bays on Lake Nipigon in Ontario.  It was so shallow, you could literally pick out the large northerns laying in the water like logs and cast to them.  They were there to spawn and would head out into the main lake after spawning.  We caught fish all day long with the largest being around 22lbs.  GREAT memories.  You either had to go with a shallow spoon like a daredevil or a topwater because the water was no more than 3' deep.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toadman said:

I fished a very similar spot in Canada in one of the shallow bays on Lake Nipigon in Ontario.  It was so shallow, you could literally pick out the large northerns laying in the water like logs and cast to them.  They were there to spawn and would head out into the main lake after spawning.  We caught fish all day long with the largest being around 22lbs.  GREAT memories.  You either had to go with a shallow spoon like a daredevil or a topwater because the water was no more than 3' deep.

I am in western Canada 

Similar idea in ways this is a large canal between two dams. The pike are using the bays all season though because of the cool water from the reservoir and current in some areas. They cruze in hunting whitefish, other baitfish and whatever else they can find. Best 1/2 day fishing last September was 47 pike 

weedless soft plastic paddle tail was my answer. Down side was the lack of weight shortening my cast. I am not expecting a top water to catch more fish but it should be fun to fish

• Like 1

Forgive what may be an obvious question, but have you ever thrown a Whopper Plopper for those fish? Larry Dahlberg actually designed that bait for muskies.  I think it would be the perfect surface lure for shallow, aggressive/defensive fish:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/River2Sea_Whopper_Plopper/descpage-R2SWP13.html

Here in NoCal, big bass and stripers kill those baits.

40 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Forgive what may be an obvious question, but have you ever thrown a Whopper Plopper for those fish? Larry Dahlberg actually designed that bait for muskies.  I think it would be the perfect surface lure for shallow, aggressive/defensive fish:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/River2Sea_Whopper_Plopper/descpage-R2SWP13.html

Here in NoCal, big bass and stripers kill those baits.

I bet it would work I just don’t have any. Truth is when it comes to top water situations I have always reached for the fly rod. I have a ton of gear and I might own 3 top water lures

This build will be expanding both fishing and lure building style 

I have not used a Whopper Plopper, but I am fascinated by the design and hope to "re-create" my own version soon.  It looks pretty straightforward with having the joint towards the back 1/3 of the bait.  The challenge will be to come up with the appropriate shape to the tail version (rubber or plastic) to allow for proper rotation and action.  Stay tuned, I will keep you posted on my results!  

One more story with regards to top water lures:  I began serious fishing with a good friend while in Northern Wisconsin.  His father gave us each a classic Injured Minnow.  My buddy who had considerable prior experience was with me on the first evening about 2-hrs before dark.  As we were approaching what looked like a good area to fish, a nice 4-5 lbs bass broke the surface near us.  My buddy immediately stopped the boat and cast to the spot.  As luck would have it, he managed to cast on the exact spot where the fish had broken the surface.  In a split second, the fish was on the lure like stink on sh_t.  He brought the fish to the net and I was "hooked" for life on top-water fishing.  The shear action and terrifying crash of a big fish breaking the surface is all that it took for me.  This of course only works when conditions are right and fish are actively feeding on the surface.  I have zillions of lures as do most fishermen, but I have a special affinity for top-water because of this one instance and I have had many, many others in my old life!  

I am not familiar with using decking material like this.  I have been intrigued by other comments using this stuff.  I have only been making lures for about 1-yr and have only used Cedar up until now.  Is this stuff the same as using wood?  Weight, density, holding power, carving the same?  Thanks for your input!